PDA

View Full Version : High Head Pump Help/Suggestions for Basement Sump

AndrewMT
07/05/2006, 11:05 PM
I really could use some ReefCentral help picking a proper high head pump. A few weeks ago I moved my 15 Gal. sump down to my basement and bought a Dolphin 4800SP to return the water roughly 16’ up to my 120 Gal. tank. Unfortunately, I used the ReefCentral head loss calculator (Using the 4800 HHS, which I thought was similar to the 4800SP) which said I would have a GPH flow of about 2000GPH. I figured I would reduce that even more by redirecting some of the water back into the sump. Even though I have a CPR CS150 overflow with a max intake of 1600GPH, it was able to what could have been a 3000+ GPH flow. This much flow is simply impractical as the overflow is extremely noisy and the water going down to the basement overwhelms my sump with waves and air bubbles. I also was lucky enough to see how good a water fountain the 4800SP would make when I forgot to cement one vertical portion of the return line ;-) It was only on for a few seconds before I shut it off (after I heard a scream from upstairs), but the amount of water I had to clean up was incredible.

What I need is a pump that can handle around 10’ of vertical pipe, 4’ of horizontal pipe, 4-90 degree elbows, 1-45 degree elbow, and several union couplings and ball valves. I would like the return to go to a SCWD wave-making device, possibly at 1000-1500GPH (or less if you think that’s too much). Right now all the plumbing is 1.5” PVC, but I could change it to 1” PVC as long as the pipe is in the same configuration as it is not (configuration is required to avoid certain obstacles and go up through the floor).

It looks like the Blueline HD-100 would be a good option. ReefCentral’s head loss calculator says the flow would be around 1510GPH. Or maybe the IWAKI MP100RLT, or the Little Giant TE5.5. I know a lot of you on the forum have put your sumps in your basements, so I’ll be happy for any advice you can give me (as well as a link to a forum you started regarding basement sumps, since I can’t search the forum myself). Dolphin has also said that I could trade in my pump for another model, but I’m afraid all their pumps are too powerful.

By the way, my 4800SP (only used twice, once for a few second and once again for a few minutes) is for sale on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190003692613&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Below is a diagram of my sump setup.
http://members.east.cox.net/andrewmt/AQUARIUM3.jpg

p4ck37p1mp
07/06/2006, 05:57 AM
You might look at a Sequence Tarpon:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=MM1114

I just got a Marlin yesterday for my basement sump, they're pressure rated and have very good commercial motors. They're supposedly very quiet and have excellent support as well. I'm using mine for return as well as feeding my beckett skimmer and fuge.

RichConley
07/06/2006, 07:34 AM
You wanna move 1500+ gph through a 15g sump?

I'd run a blueline ns800. SHould give you 400gph at 11' off head. Thats about what you need.

It also wont cost you $40 a month to run. (its only 40w)

AndrewMT
07/06/2006, 07:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7689576#post7689576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
You wanna move 1500+ gph through a 15g sump?

I'd run a blueline ns800. SHould give you 400gph at 11' off head. Thats about what you need.

It also wont cost you $40 a month to run. (its only 40w)

Well, the sump volume is not as important because I can always make that bigger. The NS-800 has a max head of 15ft and the flow is too low.

RichConley
07/06/2006, 08:09 AM
The point is the same: You're never gonna get it to quiet down running 1500+ gph through your overflows. You'll have a quieter tank, use much less energy, and get better skimmer performance if you get down about 400-500gph.