PDA

View Full Version : Paracentropyge multifasciatus questions.

Rendos
07/06/2006, 09:16 AM
I have a LFS holding a pair of Paracentropyge multifasciatus (multi-bar angels) for me. I know that all angels have the potential for being coral nippers. I would like to hear if anyone has any specific personal experience with these angels. The tank they will be going in is a 72"X30"X24" 225 gallon tank with almost all SPS corals, and a few clams. If the clam nipping becomes a problem, the clams can be moved to a 120 gallon tank.

Amphiprion
07/06/2006, 10:53 AM
Centropyge multifasciata specifically targets hard corals and other benthic invertebrates. You could attempt it, but I do not consider this one of the better species to mix with corals

Rendos
07/06/2006, 11:42 AM
Is this from personal experience or what you have heard, and/or read?

I ask this because lots of information I have heard/read over the years about certain animals tends to be disproven. Lots of fish we keep now were believed to be impossible to keep 10 years ago.

jda
07/06/2006, 12:12 PM
I had one for a while and it left my coral alone. In fact, it left almost everything alone. All that it ate was a few pods that it could catch and it died after 4-5 months. It was solid and healthy for 4 months, and did not touch anything.

You know the risks. If you have a way to catch them, then I would go for it.

Rendos
07/06/2006, 01:05 PM
The ones the store is holding for me has had them for 5 months or more. They are eating well...so at least I have that going for me.

Catching them would not be too much of a problem if that became an issue.

copps
07/06/2006, 02:14 PM
Rendos this is an excellent opportunity and I would jump on it. As a mixer of angels in reefs for years, as long as you have a means of removal it is worth a shot with an opportinuty like this. I witnessed Frank Baensch's spawning pair last year at RCT of these guys... he's since sold out of the young and I believe now gotten rid of the pair... these were practice for a similar looking Paracentropyge brother :)

My multibarred I've now had for over a year and he's settled in as well as any other dwarf. My personal opinion with dwarfs is that they're much less predicatble than large angels when it comes to their behavior in reefs. Mine has been in a part of my large frag system with many different varieties of coral and has been fine... although he'll probably go into a new fish only system...

Amphiprion, are you basing this off of personal experience? What hard corals...? If we went by what most books said, we would not have angels in any reef, I would not have a trio of regals, and angels would not have spawned in captivity...

Anyway... here's a shot of my guy... a very striking fish...
http://xs75.xs.to/pics/06143/multi2.jpg (http://xs.to)

jda
07/06/2006, 03:08 PM
I have read books that say that watanabei are not reef safe... so books only go so far.

Once again, mine was cool with the coral, but I never could tell if that was because he was not interested in food in captivity or not.

Rendos
07/06/2006, 03:08 PM
Nice. How large is the one in the picture? The pair I am getting are only about 2" long each.

Also...do I see a Triangle Butterfly (Hemitaurichthys polylepis) in the back? Very cool fish also...even though I am not a big fan of butterflies in general.

copps
07/06/2006, 03:38 PM
Good eye... yes I have a pair of pyramids that were demoted to the frag tank after picking on one of my millies... but I may give them another shot in the display... I see these guys everywhere diving Hawaii and Micronesia up high in the water column... Amazed they're not more popular as they are mainly zooplanktivores... Oh, and my guy is around 3 inches... large for these guys...

Jump on that pair though... it's tough enough to find one that has been settled in for a while... if you don't mind me asking what's the price?

Copps

Amphiprion
07/06/2006, 03:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7691694#post7691694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by copps
Rendos this is an excellent opportunity and I would jump on it. As a mixer of angels in reefs for years, as long as you have a means of removal it is worth a shot with an opportinuty like this. I witnessed Frank Baensch's spawning pair last year at RCT of these guys... he's since sold out of the young and I believe now gotten rid of the pair... these were practice for a similar looking Paracentropyge brother :)

My multibarred I've now had for over a year and he's settled in as well as any other dwarf. My personal opinion with dwarfs is that they're much less predicatble than large angels when it comes to their behavior in reefs. Mine has been in a part of my large frag system with many different varieties of coral and has been fine... although he'll probably go into a new fish only system...

Amphiprion, are you basing this off of personal experience? What hard corals...? If we went by what most books said, we would not have angels in any reef, I would not have a trio of regals, and angels would not have spawned in captivity...

Anyway... here's a shot of my guy... a very striking fish...
http://xs75.xs.to/pics/06143/multi2.jpg (http://xs.to)

I am going from what others have experienced and (edit:qualitative) gut analyses. Hard corals are not the only thing specifically targeted--many benthic animals are, as well. There is a good mix in there, with hard corals (what ones were not specified in any of my books or online/private databases--sorry) mostly in the minority--sponges, ascidians, and some algae were consumed more (latter foods based upon what others have told me). You may not have noticed them eating coral, but it does not necessarily mean that they don't peck and get a few polyps here and there (with your tank, copps, it would be hard for me to tell :) ). Being that fish are individuals, it may not even be much of a problem or it could be considerably worse. On a personal note, I am not a risk taker when it comes to these fish, so you should take that into consideration as well ;). If you don't mind taking a potential risk, then by all means. In your searching, you may find better information searching under the accepted name Centropyge multifasciata, which should give fairly up-to-date information on these fish.

Amphiprion
07/06/2006, 03:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7692052#post7692052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jda
I have read books that say that watanabei are not reef safe... so books only go so far.

Once again, mine was cool with the coral, but I never could tell if that was because he was not interested in food in captivity or not.

Things like this, in particular, are based either on misinformation or overgeneralization.

NexDog
07/07/2006, 09:04 AM
I haven't heard this angel is any worse than your typical others when it comes to coral nipping. However they are hard to keep for some periods of time. If you've seen a pair doing well after 5 months then you should seize the day!

Sheol
07/07/2006, 09:09 AM
If they were at my LFS & eating for long, I'd have a deposit on them by now. But that's just me..

Sincerely,
Matthew

Rendos
07/07/2006, 12:08 PM
They cost me $100 for the pair. I also work part time at the LFS, and I know they are eating well. They eat basically any and everything offered them. We are holding them in a coral holding tank in the back of the store to watch for signs of coral nipping, etc. until I am ready to take them home.

NexDog
07/08/2006, 03:15 AM
Not a bad price and if they are truly paired - awesome. Pretty common here in Japan and can usualy get them for $25. Looking forward to updates in the future. :)

massman
07/08/2006, 06:06 AM
These guys are mot much of a threat to your corals, in fact less threatening than most other dwarfs.
We catch these guys down deep 20m+, and are almost eclusively cave dwellers. Do not be surprised if you do not see them for a lot of the time they're in your tank (depending on size and aquascape).
They feast on benthic inverts, constantly rock grazing (commonly upside down on cave roofs).
Usually we find them singly, or in small groups (4-6). I personally have never seen a "pair".

Their biggest problem is eating introduced foods (only about 6 in 10 we catch eat in captivity).
The fact that you have already got them onto food, and for months now, I would have no doubt in buying them.

Sheol
07/08/2006, 08:45 AM
Rendo,

You are lucky. Enjoy!
At present, I've settled for a C. argi for my reef.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Amphiprion
07/08/2006, 10:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7702175#post7702175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by massman
These guys are mot much of a threat to your corals, in fact less threatening than most other dwarfs.
We catch these guys down deep 20m+, and are almost eclusively cave dwellers. Do not be surprised if you do not see them for a lot of the time they're in your tank (depending on size and aquascape).
They feast on benthic inverts, constantly rock grazing (commonly upside down on cave roofs).

I wouldn't assert that quite as strongly. While it is true that they are mostly cave/ledge/crevice dwellers, they are also encountered in lagoonal situations. Because they can and sometimes do eat coral (which is often included with 'benthic invertebrates'), it is a risk. I think Rendos is going with the smarter option in seeing if his particular ones are of any risk. They are wonderful fish and if I came across a pair, that is precisely what I would have done.

just dave
07/12/2006, 11:02 PM
I think you should pass and leave 'em at the store.

Rendos
07/13/2006, 08:13 AM
dave - I finished the 120 last night.
I will be working on the 225 this weekend. After all the re-aquascaping is done, I will be picking them up.

Rendos
07/17/2006, 06:51 AM
Here is one of my two. They are fairly shy fish, but are getting along together. No signs of coral nipping yet either...so that is a bonus.
http://fishman.smugmug.com/photos/82052536-L.jpg

massman
07/17/2006, 07:14 AM
Beautiful fish, congrats and good luck.

Ps Nice pic:thumbsup:

Amphiprion
07/17/2006, 10:09 AM
Good, I am glad that they worked out. Keep us updated.

revclyburn
07/17/2006, 10:24 AM
Absolutely gorgeous fish,

the poor man's peppermint angel. I think you're lucky to have found a pair, lket alone one that's eating. GHood luck and please post pics of them as the months go bye.

I myself want these, one day Nexdog will get me a pair, lol.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/82476Pboylei.gif

just dave
07/17/2006, 10:33 AM
Perhaps the Peppermints are the overly indulgent mans Multi-bars.:p

revclyburn
07/17/2006, 10:53 AM
Also true

but hey, one day, I'm going to indulge myself is a harem, lol.

Rev

just dave
07/17/2006, 09:41 PM
Where are the new pics you said you got?

Don't be a slacker.

Rendos
07/18/2006, 08:41 AM
One angel...
http://fishman.smugmug.com/photos/82438527-L-1.jpg

the other...
http://fishman.smugmug.com/photos/82438516-L-1.jpg

Still working on getting a good picture of them together.

just dave
07/18/2006, 08:57 AM
The second angel is defective. One of its mid-bars is incomplete. I think you should promptly return them .

revclyburn
07/18/2006, 09:04 AM
I'll take them if they were missing half a bar, on any side. They are gorgeous. Continued success with them,

Rev

fishsoldseprtly
07/18/2006, 12:31 PM
I use to collect angels at one point and I had a Multi Barred due to its beauty, the one thing that was never mentioned (maybe I overlooked) was that this is a very delicate fish and not at all hardy. This fish does not acclimate well in captivity and does not accept food readilly. Please keep us updated months from now. Every specimen is an individual and everything is hit or miss. Hope you have plenty of luck with yours.

COPPS- I enjoy seeing your tank and the specimens you have in it. I am not shocked at all that you have had one of these guys in your tank for soo long. Great Job. Everything you put in that tank should thrive.

Rendos
08/05/2006, 07:51 PM
Update.
I finally got a fairly decent picture of the two angels together. They are very interesting to watch especially when the actinics are on. They dance around each other and gently rub on each other. This behavior only happens when the actinic lights only are on. Otherwise the swim around the tank picking at live rock pretty much all day. I have not yet seen them pick at any corals or clams.
Anyway...here is the picture.
http://fishman.smugmug.com/photos/86181524-L.jpg

massman
08/05/2006, 09:11 PM
Nice!:beer:

Tremelle
08/06/2006, 09:40 AM
Nice addition.

Angel*Fish
08/06/2006, 08:44 PM
I imagine most people buying Paracentropyge angels have consulted S. Michael's book on angels & butterflies- but just in case... he says, [these fish] "will occasionally nibble at large-polyped stony corals."

I just wanted to add his statement to this thread because in my experience with S. Michael's writings, he is as careful as he can be to not give assumptions & opinion as fact - So my opinion is that he must have heard of this happening from someone who owned one of these

Not much info, I admit, but how much can you expect when you are helping to blaze the trail yourself ;)

The very best of luck with these beauties - & please keep logging your progress here - eager minds await! :D

fishdoc11
08/06/2006, 09:24 PM
Very nice Richard...beautifull fish:D

You are very fortunate to have a wombat selling fish locally. He needs to move his store to Knoxville so I can work on my collection:p

I am about 10 years too late for Tullock's store:rolleyes:

Chris

Seafood Tank
08/07/2006, 03:45 AM
Mine one 2.5" killed 6 pcs of lps, but it takes many kinds dry food, now i transfer it into fot. It seems ok with large fish.

Terryz_
08/08/2006, 01:53 AM
Had mine for a month now... Haven not touched any coral and is feeding heavily on Mysis... Would be cool to get a pair... Any chance of pairing up with a new addition?

Amphiprion
08/08/2006, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7891525#post7891525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Angel*Fish
I imagine most people buying Paracentropyge angels have consulted S. Michael's book on angels & butterflies- but just in case... he says, [these fish] "will occasionally nibble at large-polyped stony corals."

I just wanted to add his statement to this thread because in my experience with S. Michael's writings, he is as careful as he can be to not give assumptions & opinion as fact - So my opinion is that he must have heard of this happening from someone who owned one of these

Not much info, I admit, but how much can you expect when you are helping to blaze the trail yourself ;)

The very best of luck with these beauties - & please keep logging your progress here - eager minds await! :D

Not only that, but he is also carefully basing his information from observations made on wild specimens.

Angel*Fish
08/08/2006, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7901642#post7901642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
Not only that, but he is also carefully basing his information from observations made on wild specimens.
Good point - what a life that guy has, btw

Tarasco1
10/13/2006, 03:16 PM
How are they doing now? Any updates? I had one for about a year, I miss it. Took a lot of work to get to eat, and then I lost it during a move.

Also, wanted to point out that mine occasionally munched on LPS corals, such as brains, plates and bubble corals.

FateX8
10/14/2006, 01:02 AM
booooo i wanted a pair of these but no one had them so i had to settle for a pair of bellus!
i would LOVE to have a pair of boyle's angel those guys are the smaller paracentropyge spp and they look soo cool
i wonder how much they go for
updates?

revclyburn
10/14/2006, 07:44 AM
Boylei's go for a cool 5k each, stateside that is. If you go to Japan and get them, if you can find them, it would cost you a lot less, till you try and get them here, customs would probably hit you with a hefty fee.

I want them too, waiting for someone to breed them successfully, then the price will come down, until then, I'll just look at the pic I have them and dream.

RevClyburn

massman
10/14/2006, 06:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8338827#post8338827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by revclyburn

I want them too, waiting for someone to breed them successfully, then the price will come down, until then, I'll just look at the pic I have them and dream.

Doubt it. Even if they are being bred.

If you were breeding them, would you reduce the price? Not a chance, they sell hand over fist, and could be sold 10 times each.

The only way they could come down in price is if they were being bred by the thousands, and I can't see that happening for a LONG time yet unfortunately.