PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to a Giesemann Nova II (250w) on my 20g. Thoughts & input please!

OCDP
07/06/2006, 09:19 AM
I think I am going to upgrade my lighting (again.. I know) . Yet another great opportunity for me to upgrade some things. Since I've added a Refractometer , RO/DI unit, etc.. I want to just get the last of the upgrading DONE. So, it must be my lucky day or something because I am able to grab a Giesemann Nova II 250 HQI. I have never used one and haven't really seen many pictures with people using them or heard much about these pendants. So I am wondering if there's anyone here that uses one? And if so, how do you like it? Feel free to give me any input you may have.

As for the 250w HQI over a 20g tank, I'm a little weary. But, this is a great opportunity for me to upgrade, so I want to take advantage of this. It will get me motivated to get a new tank up as well. And all's I'll really need to make an upgrade now is more live rock.

So, how abouts should I go putting this new light up? It has the adjustable cables so I can raise or lower it no problem. Any input, or feedback on the pendant.. anything at all would be great.

Thanks.

crazyfish
07/06/2006, 09:42 AM
depending on what you are keeping in your tank 250 watts over a 20gal might be a little much. Be carefull with corals as that much light may cause some damage. One thing you could do is mount it a few inches higher than normal so the light isn't so intense.

OCDP
07/06/2006, 09:51 AM
Well right now I am running a 24" Aqualight Pro. So, 150w HQI and 2x65w PC's. My tank has mainly zoos and SPS. I do have a BTA, and a frogspawn.. a couple Yuma's, Ric's, that's about it.

I'm mainly looking for input on these pendants... how are they? Any neat features, how they perform, etc, etc...

Thanks for your input though :)

RichConley
07/06/2006, 10:02 AM
Theyre nice looking.

Other than that, I have nothing positive to say about them.

OCDP
07/06/2006, 10:06 AM
Care to explain a little more WHY you don't like them?? :confused:

Like I said, I am looking for all input please... I can see myself they're nice looking..

RichConley
07/06/2006, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7690284#post7690284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OCDP
Care to explain a little more WHY you don't like them?? :confused:

Like I said, I am looking for all input please... I can see myself they're nice looking..

They have a penchant for ballasts burnign out, the transformers go, and basically catch on fire. I've been through 2 ballasts now on mine, which is fine for now, but as soon as the warranty is up....
(the LFS near me is one of a handful of official Geismann agents. He said they get burned out ballasts brought in all the time)

They just feel kind of cheap to me. Its tough to get at the screws to tighten up the bracket for the bulbs. Its tough to get your fingers in there ot get bulbs out. You have to basically take the pendant apart to get the glass off (and get at the bulb). I hate the cable hangers, theyre a pain. (I like using chain and hooks better)

The reef optix pendant next ot it takes about 20 seconds to change a bulb. Just slide the glass out, pop the bulb out, pop the new one in, slide the glass back on. The Geisman I have to take it down from the cables, unplug it from the ballast, unscrew the 3 screws on the side, take the side off, take the glass out, and then spend 20 minutes trynig to get the bulb out without having it shatter in my fingers.

Theyre nice looking, they just dont feel like they were well thought out. They also did rather poorly in Sanjay's test. It feels like the looks were the only thing taken into consideration.

OCDP
07/06/2006, 10:59 AM
Hmm.. that doesn't sound too good. And I was just starting to get the understanding that these pendants are really good ?? :( Crap. What to doo...

As for taking the bulbs out, I have small fingers and I am used to the work.. on the Aqualight you have to unscrew the sides, then slide the two panels out to get to the glass and remove the bulb. This isn't a huge concern for me.

It's the ballasts that keep burning out that gets me worried.

Any one will with input ??

OCDP
07/06/2006, 11:01 AM
Also, any links to user reviews for these pendants?? Keep the input coming people.. I really hope that the good outweigh the bad with these.

OCDP
07/06/2006, 01:35 PM
bump.

OCDP
07/06/2006, 03:55 PM
one last bump for the day before she's buried for good.

Hoping to get any feedback / input.. as I hope to pick the pendant up this weekend.

OCDP
07/06/2006, 09:00 PM
Okay I lied.. another bump. There has to be some reefers on here with these pendants?? Only reason I am bumping so much is because I *plan* on picking this up tomorrow or saturday, so would like as much input and user feedback as possible.

Thanks

OCDP
07/07/2006, 10:03 AM
bump