PDA

View Full Version : When fish sleep at night...

Mr31415
07/06/2006, 03:47 PM
...do they ever stop swimming? A stupid question but bugging me nonetheless.

dime079
07/06/2006, 03:49 PM
probly, i catch my gramma chilling (resting) on the rocks not waving any of his fins, all the time :)

jprince58
07/06/2006, 04:05 PM
I thought my son was trying to pull a fast one on me when he said our long-nose butterfly slept on its side at the top of the tank...then I saw it. All the other fish find themselves a nook in the rocks, but not this one. There it was, completely horizontal and just sort of floating on the surface. Oddest thing I'd ever seen!

Paintbug
07/06/2006, 07:17 PM
each type of fish is different. my clowns will often make a bed in the sand and lie on their sides at night. my powder blue tang rarely stops swimming. i had a stripped fanged blenny that would sleep in the corners of the tank, like hes stuck on the silicon sealant. he would even sleep on the bottom of the mag float. some wrasses will make a cacoon each night. so you will see many strange things when the lights go out.

Octoberfest
07/06/2006, 07:19 PM
when i tell people that my fish sleep they think i'm nuts. the girl I'm dating asked me why my yellow tang looked pale one day and i said it's because i woke him up early, he's use to sleeping in later and she thought i needed help.

jtemple42000
07/06/2006, 07:32 PM
Saltwater fish are weird....

My wife and I got into this about 8 months ago. Now I have $150 dollars worth of fish that never swim. Weirdest thing. Clowns chill in the anemone, triggers chill in the rock. Come out to eat and see the kids every once in a while....

Tate
07/06/2006, 07:38 PM
My percula digs a hole in the corner and sleeps in it's side at night. It scared me the first couple of times he did it, I thought he was dead. It's totally normal though.

NCreefwannabe
07/07/2006, 02:06 AM
yeah my clarkiis slept on the rocks every night about 2 inches apart on their sides and looked deathly pale lol. I freaked too.

e46mpower
07/07/2006, 03:45 AM
Does this mean that my clowns never get any sleep because I have an emerald crab that goes hunting at night, and a snowflake eel that is also nocturnal in the same tank. Now I get the feeling that my clowns sleep with one eye open.

Nano Chris
07/07/2006, 05:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7695581#post7695581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by e46mpower
Does this mean that my clowns never get any sleep because I have an emerald crab that goes hunting at night, and a snowflake eel that is also nocturnal in the same tank. Now I get the feeling that my clowns sleep with one eye open.
I guess fish sleep with both eyes open as they dont have eyelids :confused:

doox00
07/07/2006, 08:25 AM
my 2 true percs never stop swimming, when the lights go out they go next to the overflow and kinda do a slow wiggle swim, they never go into the rock either in the tank, they swim around a little bit through out the tank but never into the rock or on the bottom for some reason.

Crusty Old Shellback
07/07/2006, 08:29 AM
I had some large tangs that would go to bed together in the back of the tank between the rocks. It was weird seeing 3 large tangs of different species all laying on each other like they were stacked up against the back.

My blue tang and pink tail trigger both lock theirselves in the rockwork to sleep.

efroggies
07/07/2006, 08:33 AM
my false perc goes up to the top of the tank near a pump out of the flow and just wiggles all night

roadrunner1659
07/07/2006, 08:36 AM
my percula clowns go up into the back left corner of my tank and they hover together facing straight downward...sometimes one switches it's direction to they are face to face...i my lemonpeel wedges himself inbetween rocks or the rocks and glass and he stops moving at night time...and i dont know what my sixline does?

Sk8r
07/07/2006, 08:43 AM
My mandarin has a fave spot right up against the curved front of the tank: never varies. Must be just the right flow in that area.

theop
07/07/2006, 10:32 AM
The sixline wrasse will pick a "spot" in your LR and always go there. They secrete a mucus cocoon to sleep in.

jerehmy
07/07/2006, 10:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7693605#post7693605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jtemple42000
Saltwater fish are weird....

My wife and I got into this about 8 months ago. Now I have $150 dollars worth of fish that never swim. Weirdest thing. Clowns chill in the anemone, triggers chill in the rock. Come out to eat and see the kids every once in a while....

I have the same problem, my only swimmers are my clowns.

On a side note I have seen my african cichlids "sleep" laying down on the sand @ night

Leandrae
07/07/2006, 11:15 AM
My clowns snuggle up in their anemone at night to sleep. The 2 royal grammas are no where to be found at night, so I assume they find a nice spot in the rock. My jawfish stays in whatever his current dug out is that night. My mandarin has a place on the sand and looks for all the world dead...scared the bajeebers out of me first time I saw her do that.

Infern0
07/07/2006, 12:38 PM
My clowns also float at the very top of the tank...I'm suprised they don't suffocate by morning, because they have half their body out of the water.

Marinemom
07/07/2006, 02:06 PM
My clown goes behind the same rock every night to sleep. My tang goes behind a rock on the other side of the reef and my sixline wrasse digs a whole behind a rock every night and sleeps there. Once I turned the lights on a little early and my yellow tang had white streaks on the sides of his body. Within minutes they were gone. Sure freaked me out. The saltwater adventure is sure an eye opener.

Marinemom

Fmellish
07/07/2006, 02:19 PM
My blue tang and my anthias sleep upside down in a crevice in the ceiling of their cave.

My 2 clowns never stop moving. Even at night in the anemone, they still wigggle while they sleep.

My six-line wrasee sleeps in a mucus cocoon he creates in a hole in a rock.

My Pajama cardinals stay afloat out in the open. They neve go into the rocks.

My sailfin tang sleeps inside a cave, (rightside up though).

My dwarf angel sleeps in my rocks.

Josh

AngeloM3
07/07/2006, 02:27 PM
Maroon Clown........... kinda just hovers in a nook
Six-Line Wrasse......... makes a mucus cocoon and sleeps in that
Red Stripe Angelfish....... swims behind all the rocks at night
Firefish........ goes into his little hole... cant see what he does

Coralz
07/07/2006, 02:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7696372#post7696372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by doox00
my 2 true percs never stop swimming, when the lights go out they go next to the overflow and kinda do a slow wiggle swim, they never go into the rock either in the tank, they swim around a little bit through out the tank but never into the rock or on the bottom for some reason.

Mine do the same.

Ursus
07/07/2006, 02:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7696428#post7696428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by efroggies
my false perc goes up to the top of the tank near a pump out of the flow and just wiggles all night

Exactly what my Ocellaris does. Goes into the back left corner above my powerhead and just kinda wiggles facing the glass all night.

My yellow tail damsel on the other hand goes into a hole in the LR and sleeps in one spot.

NCreefwannabe
07/09/2006, 12:51 AM
guess i had weird clowns then.....

Mr31415
07/09/2006, 01:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7696372#post7696372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by doox00

My remaining perc does exactly the same!

picnic
07/09/2006, 02:15 AM
Heres a sleepy fish at the Hong Kong Ocean Park Aquarium.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i284/Picnic_01/DSC00198.jpg