PDA

View Full Version : blennies and clams

ChiaJunkie
07/06/2006, 07:38 PM
I have been told that there are basically no blennies that can be kept with clams. Is this true?

what about sailfin blennies?
or any other blennies?

Thank you all

Jeffrey Porter
07/08/2006, 05:12 PM
if you look at my thread i put in a pic of my blenny and she did pick at my clam so she was removed.

a4twenty
07/08/2006, 06:41 PM
i have a sailfin blenny that hasn't look twice at my clam.

gnrlee
07/08/2006, 09:30 PM
I've seen algae blennies go after clams before. Mine personally does not bother my clams at all.

dandydan
07/11/2006, 05:49 PM
I have 5 clams now, and a pair of red scooters - no bother for last 6 months or so.

natep206
07/13/2006, 11:04 PM
those arnt blennys there mandarin gobies.

i got my first clam today. a 4" derasa clam and i own a orange spotted blenny. hopfully it wont bother it. i havnt seen it do anything yet!

nate :beer:

dandydan
07/14/2006, 02:35 PM
Why do you try to invent a new species to satisfy a discussion.

Scooters are of the family blenniidae otherwise known as blennies,
Mandarinfish are of the family Callionymidae which also include dragonets.
Gobies are of the family Gobiidae with over 1,500 species.
People come on here to learn, dont post rubbish.
Thanks

a4twenty
07/15/2006, 05:46 AM
everything was fine now i'm confused.

i was under the impression that mandarins were a member of the dragonet family ( not the other way round ). and that the scooter blenny and the red scooter blenny were also a member of this group.

as for the term mandarin goby, i have heard my LFS call a mandarin this name but when i questioned them they corrected it.

fillibar
07/15/2006, 07:51 AM
Any troubles with a "Lawnmower Blenny"? I had a friend leave the hobby quickly (moving and some other reasons) and he gave me his clam (and some other items). The LMB is pretty established, and the clam is ~4"x8" closed. Has been opening up just fine and I have not seen any difficulties yet, but should I do something before it "inevitably happens"?

a4twenty
07/16/2006, 04:44 AM
i would just watch and be prepared. i have heard people say they can be a problem but as i said above my LMB (a.k.a. sailfin or algae blenny ) hasn't even looked at my clam.

toungetwster
07/21/2006, 12:49 AM
I have had a LMB and a clam in the same tank for about 3 months now..everything is fine with them.. like posted my LMB don't even know the clam is there the way he acts!

jbittner
07/21/2006, 10:37 AM
I have a midas that doesn't bother my clams. I Know it's not a LMB but this is the only blennie I have. It seems like any fish and clams can be problems. I had a yellow tang that would swim right over my clam every few minutes and caused him to become irritated (until I moved the clam on rocks away from the tangs normal path)

joeychitwood
07/21/2006, 11:57 AM
My Lawnmower Blenny occasionally perches on my clams, but never bothers them. In fact, the clams don't even flinch when Lennie the Blenny sits on their mantles.

COreefer
07/21/2006, 01:25 PM
I just removed my LMB because he was intent upon perching on a specific clam and the clam would not fully opem anymore...

chrisbenavides
07/23/2006, 09:49 AM
Is a Mothersailfin Blenny a blenny or a type of goby?

I am planning on keeping a Squamosa Clam - Aquacultured and a Derasa Clam - Aquacultured from: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=585

Can I keep these guys in a 55g tank with 260w of PC lighting?

newreefbishop
07/23/2006, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7796800#post7796800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisbenavides

I am planning on keeping a Squamosa Clam - Aquacultured and a Derasa Clam - Aquacultured from: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=585

Why do you insist on postin gthis question in five different forums, and them turn and high-jack someones thread.

THe answer is yes you can.......

Sorry but its annoying when I click a thread to learn about species interaction and someone is asking a question that has been answered 5 or six time over.....

GEEZ!

newreefbishop
07/23/2006, 04:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7796800#post7796800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisbenavides

And the blenny is just what it says I believe......

Its a blenny, although LFS make up names to go along with fishes, just to be safe I would invest in a good species guide.

waterfaller1
08/23/2006, 02:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7743583#post7743583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dandydan
Why do you try to invent a new species to satisfy a discussion.

Scooters are of the family blenniidae otherwise known as blennies,
Mandarinfish are of the family Callionymidae which also include dragonets.
Gobies are of the family Gobiidae with over 1,500 species.
People come on here to learn, dont post rubbish.
Thanks You are sadly misinformed. Scooter Blennies are not blennies, they are in the dragonet family. It is so obvious if you just look at the fish you can see it.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1635

J-Bass
08/23/2006, 11:11 AM
Haven't had any problems with my blenny bothering my squamosa or maxima but I am having problems with my neon goby bothering my squamosa. Lil bugger bites at its mantle keeping it from fully opening.

DivaMan
08/23/2006, 07:31 PM
The way gobies are classified is that they have a usually rounded tail, with a second dorsal and an anal fin parallel to each other, directly in fornt of the tail. :Look at any goby an you will see this. Mandarins are in a family of their own, and so are dragonets. When looking ata blenny one sees a goby like head, however a blenny usually has a ful length dorsal fin. Blennies are not gobys, and vice versa. Mandarins and dragonets are part of neither, though are related. :strooper:

dandydan
08/24/2006, 01:55 AM
DivaMan
Thanks I thought my books and memory were letting me down.
It just shows how diverse the information on our hobby can be, and also warns of taking with a pinch of salt some of the info on these excellent forums.