PDA

View Full Version : My Hemit Is Naked

khrios
07/06/2006, 11:03 PM
I was watching my tank last night and I saw one of my hermits running around without a shell. What's going on? I only have around 8 hermits in my 100g and I put a couple extra shells in there so they wouldn't fight, but I just don't understand why it is without a shell. Also, I was going to buy some more blue-legged hermits and Turbos, in addition to my hermits and nassarius snails, and I was wondering how many I should get.

Sk8r
07/06/2006, 11:13 PM
Get some scarlets---what they're selling as bluelegs lately is a little suspiciously large.

I recommend some ceriths and margaritas as well as turbos. Maybe a conch.

khrios
07/06/2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks. Will they take care of hair algae at all? My tank is about 1.5 months old and I have some small bits of hair algae growing.

Bambalamb
07/06/2006, 11:29 PM
I rarely see a hermit without a shell. Mine usually make the transition to a larger shell quickly or during the night.

Personally, mine don't do a lot of work on nuisance algea.

khrios
07/07/2006, 12:08 AM
yeah, it's really wierd. i saw it before without a shell, but it had taken one of the big shells that i put in last week. the shell was really big and the hermit was dragging it around. could it have been too big?

Bambalamb
07/07/2006, 12:26 AM
It's possible there isn't a shell just the right size for it. From what I've seen, mine would rather lug around a big shell and grow into it.