PDA

View Full Version : Different question about bubble algae

mels95yj
07/07/2006, 08:05 AM
Ok, I noticed yesterday that a piece of LR that I bought from a LFS has about 20 very tiny green bubbles on it. I searched and read for a couple hours last night about it. I read a few threads where people state that corraline algae will eventually grow over it. My question is this. Has anybody had this happen?

The reason I ask is the rock, that was exposed to the light, looks like purple cottage cheese. The part that was buried in the sand looks like any other rock without the "cottage cheese". I just cycled my nano and had some die-off of the corraline. I'm just curious if it's possible that if all the "cottage cheese" is corraline-covered bubble algae. If it's possible, should I just wait until corraline covers it back up?

I know, from reading, that a Mithrax crab and removing the bubbles manually is about the only options. I don't want the crab. I'd rather throw the rock away than get a crab. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. TIA

Mel

mels95yj
07/07/2006, 10:41 AM
Nevermind.

Mel

jerehmy
07/07/2006, 10:42 AM
I have had coraline algea grow on the bubble algea

tanku
07/07/2006, 10:49 AM
i think the cottage cheese may be rock. is it pliable or rock hard?does it flake off?

cwegescheide
07/07/2006, 10:56 AM
If I were you I wouldn't put the rock in there OR manually remove the green bubbles being careful not to rupture them. If you don't eventually that nasty stuff will spread all over your reef. When I see them I remove them asap so they don't spread.

mels95yj
07/07/2006, 11:27 AM
Well, I took the rock out and tried popping the bubbles off of the rock. That didn't work too well, so I took a toothbrush and scrubbed the rock. I rinsed with fresh distilled water and repeated 2 more times. I don't see any as of now, so let's hope I did it correctly. I made sure I rinsed it pretty well, to prevent any spores from being left on the rock.

Mel

jerehmy
07/07/2006, 11:29 AM
I have done this before with some success, sometimes it comes back and sometimes it stays away 50/50

Good Luck :)