PDA

View Full Version : wrasse ?

halloween75
07/07/2006, 08:26 AM
I have a wrasse but not sure what kind - when I got it they said it was a neon but it looks nothing like it - it has the same pattern of a six-line but different coloring. Anyway, I wanted it to eat my flatworms which are completely out of control but it's not eating any of them. Can I get another six-line or will they not get along? I heard Mandarians eat flatworms as well but are hard to keep?

Konadog
07/07/2006, 09:28 AM
Wrasses and Mandarians for flat worm eradication is hit and miss. Your fish may eat them, then just stop, or never eat them.

Check out this page to see if you can find your wrasse:

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/wrassereefsafe/

halloween75
07/07/2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks...I do not see my wrasse on that page but the sixline is different on this site than usual - I thought they were more primary colors. If they colors vary then I think mine is a sixline. I tried to take a picture but all that guy does is swim around very fast. If it is a sixline can I get another one?

serpentman
07/07/2006, 09:55 AM
Does it have a blue-ish line through the eye? If so, its sounds like a 4-line

halloween75
07/07/2006, 10:03 AM
I'll check...not at home now with the tank. Would it matter - can I hav emore than one wrasse and ok if they are the same or different?

theop
07/07/2006, 10:05 AM
Count the lines! Better yet, post a picture.

Fourline and Sixline have the same body shape. It could also be a eightline.

jaymz101
07/07/2006, 10:54 AM
agree with theop. Count the lines.

halloween75
07/07/2006, 11:07 AM
Can I get another wrasse to go with this one or will they not get along?

theop
07/07/2006, 11:14 AM
Let's figure out what your wrasse is first...

Then it will be possible to decide what it is compatible with.

halloween75
07/07/2006, 11:17 AM
ok, thanks - that will be later tonight or tomorrow - I'm at work now.

Konadog
07/07/2006, 11:53 AM
halloween75, the 6-line wrasse is one of the more aggressive wrasses and may not get along with other wrasses. That said, I have one with a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse. They didn't get along with each other to begin with, but in a 225 gallon tank, they learned to share :)

Marinemom
07/07/2006, 02:20 PM
Could be a four line wrasse. Weather it is a four line, a six line, or even an eight line, I would not put another one in with it. I think that is just asking for trouble.

Marinemom

halloween75
07/08/2006, 08:36 AM
My best guess is that it's a four line - it does have the blue strip across it's eye. The lines fade at the bottom but the distinct lines are about 4. It's yellow, purple, blue, and pinkish red. If I can't put another wrasse in - what about a Mandarian - are they really difficult to keep?

Marinemom
07/08/2006, 11:20 PM
Mandarians need a very established tank, meaning the tank should be up and running and stable for at least a year. The reason for this is that thier diet consists of pods. That's all they eat and unnless you have an incessant amount of pods he will starve to death in a very short time. They rarely if ever will eat prepared foods. What do you think about adding a blenny or a goby? Maybe that could work better for you right now.

Marinemom

sir_dudeguy
07/09/2006, 07:54 AM
marinemom said that perfectly about the manderin. you cant have too many pods for them. i'd wait a year on him at least

MOX
07/09/2006, 08:23 AM
from what i have read these fish may eat flatworms some damsels,blue green chromis, some wrasses, and a couple people said the witnessed their fish like a clarki clown eating them as well as oa mandarin. i also have a bit of a flatworm problem and i am seeking out other opptions than treating the tank. i have spoken with several people saying that they treated for flatworm and they come right back. or only half of them die and loose a fish or 2 due to the toxins they release when they are killed.

So like you i am looking for the best fish to eat the lil buggers. at the moment i have a blue green chromis, a blue velvet damsel and a clarki clown in my tank at the moment the clarki is in the sump and i dont see any more flat worms down their at all. cant realy say if hes eating them or if they just dont care for the conditions in my sump as much as the main system. i just bought a red coris wrasse to add hoping he will eat them but i am vrey doubtful. will keep ya posted if i make any break throughs

sir_dudeguy
07/09/2006, 09:26 AM
arrow crabs...dont they eat flatworms?

MOX
07/09/2006, 09:37 AM
arrow crab dont they also eat fish

theop
07/09/2006, 01:56 PM
Arrow crabs eat bristle worms and can be aggressive towards snails and fish (like all crabs).

I picked up a fourline wrasse today for my tank. They are pretty.

Devilshand
07/09/2006, 09:55 PM
Just a thought, before you purchase your next fish, research its diet and habits first..and don't rely completely on the vendor for all the info..get a couple books......then buy fish....
just thought it had to be said..:)