PDA

View Full Version : T-5 or PC, Kinda Confused...

Kiel'thalin
07/07/2006, 09:49 AM
I currently have a somewhat new setup and currently running just standard fluorescent fixture on my 46 Gallon Bowfront. I do want to add SPS only Corals and need another fixture.
I am in between the following:

Nova Extreme T-5 156Watt Fixture
or
Orbit Compact Fluorescent 192Watt Fixture.

Metal Halides are just too pricey for my budget. My LFS said to get the CF unit since I need around a 200watt unit. Is there anything wrong with the T-5 setup for what I am doing since I could save $80 with the T-5 Unit. Thanks for the help.

reefnetworth
07/07/2006, 10:27 AM
SPS will need MH's. LPS (softies) are compatable with PC or T-5 lighting. 'outer orbit' is both, PC and MH in one. www.webaquatics.com has them $50.00 cheaper than anyone else. REEF-ON!!!

The Grim Reefer
07/07/2006, 10:30 AM
If you get a good T5 fixture (Tek or Aquactinics) with the individual reflectors you can raise anything you could under a halide.

Kiel'thalin
07/07/2006, 11:26 AM
That does clear things up a bit.
My delima:
1. The Metal Halide Units I like, seem to mounted right in the middle of the fixture or do not have cooling fans (my tank has a big crossbrace in the middle)

2. The problem with the Nova Extreme's are the bulbs are not in individual reflectors, or will I be fine with that unit?

3. I have seen the Tek's and Aquactinics in person and they do not have the cooling fans and where alot hotter than the ones with the built-in fans, is that an issue I should be concerned with?

4. Finally, will the T-5's will be a better choice than the Compact Fluorescent's?

Sorry about all the questions, but I think it is important to get a quality light/fixture.

The Grim Reefer
07/07/2006, 11:54 AM
T5's are way better than PC's. A properly designed unit doesn't need a cooling fan but it doesn't hurt. I believe Aquactinics unit has a fan. The Orbit will work as long as you are carfull how far down in the tank you place the higher light critters.

Kiel'thalin
07/07/2006, 12:50 PM
Yeah that Aquactinics is a very nice piece, I think that would be the better choice. Thanks for your thoughts.

R33f3r
07/07/2006, 02:53 PM
T5's. Seriously. They are better than any fluro today.

David Grigor
07/07/2006, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7698994#post7698994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by R33f3r
T5's. Seriously. They are better than any fluro today.

That's a pretty general statement, and really all depends on what your trying to accomplish.

I don't consider T5s to be the end all of flourescent lighting.

There are pros and cons like just about any other lighting available.

yamaha racer
07/07/2006, 04:01 PM
dude, just go with t-5s u wont be dissapionted

twon8
07/07/2006, 04:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7699359#post7699359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by David Grigor
That's a pretty general statement, and really all depends on what your trying to accomplish.

I don't consider T5s to be the end all of flourescent lighting when it comes to LPS.
they are brighter, more efficient, cheaper, and last longer. IMO that makes them better.

Kiel'thalin
07/10/2006, 06:36 AM
Now what bulbs do I go with? I am getting the T-5 Aquactinics Fixture (5 39W bulbs)?
I am guessing this combo:
2 Aquaz Blue Pro Actinic
2 Aquaz Ocean Pro
1 Aquaz Sun Pro
Thanks

The Grim Reefer
07/10/2006, 06:54 AM
I think I woud do 2 bluepro, 1 actinic, 1 sunpro and 1 ocean pro.

Kiel'thalin
07/10/2006, 07:16 AM
Just curious, there is a difference in the actinic blue pro and a pure actinic bulb?
Finally, what arrangement would I place them in the fixture?

This lighting stuff is very complicated, especially for someone who is "new". Thanks bunches.

The Grim Reefer
07/10/2006, 07:26 AM
The Blue Pro is about like a Blueplus. Very blue and fluoresces everything but green pretty well. The actinic is more violet and pops greens really well but not much else. Throw a blue lamp in front and them mix and match the others to get a look you like.

HowardW
07/10/2006, 10:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7699359#post7699359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by David Grigor

I don't consider T5s to be the end all of flourescent lighting.

There are pros and cons like just about any other lighting available.

Just curious, what do you consider to be the 'cons' with T5 lighting? I don't see too many, and a lot of 'pros'.

Kiel'thalin
07/10/2006, 11:04 AM
I believe the T-5's con's depend on the fixture you have them in. If they are setup correctly you can get a great spectrum of light, if you go el cheapo, you get what you pay for.

ReefWreak
07/10/2006, 04:51 PM
What's everyones opinion of this decision:

I've got to decide between:

4x65w PC retrofit by Aqualight, or
4x54w T5 fixture by Nova Extreme

The T5s are $20 more before shipping. Shipping on both will be the same. Any suggestions?

BTW the tank is a 120g, 48x24x24.

HowardW
07/10/2006, 04:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7716183#post7716183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak
What's everyones opinion of this decision:

I've got to decide between:

4x65w PC retrofit by Aqualight, or
4x54w T5 fixture by Nova Extreme

The T5s are $20 more before shipping. Shipping on both will be the same. Any suggestions?

BTW the tank is a 120g, 48x24x24.

Between those two I would go with the Nova Extreme because the T5s run cooler, longer bulb life, more bulb choices, and because you'll get the moonlights with the Nova

ReefWreak
07/10/2006, 05:01 PM
So would the lighting all around in my tank (i.e. top of rocks, bottom sand bed, etc.) be relativly the same intensity, allowing different corals in different places (other than the extremly light demanding corals which would go on the top) with either the PC or the T5?

DrsFosterSmith says that neither PC nor T5 should be used in tanks 24" deep or deeper. Mine is 24" exactly, with the waterline an inch or two under the top of the tank, and the sand bed 2 inches above the bottom of the tank. So at 20ish inches, would the lightloss through the water be mostly neglegable?

HowardW
07/10/2006, 05:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7716238#post7716238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak
So would the lighting all around in my tank (i.e. top of rocks, bottom sand bed, etc.) be relativly the same intensity, allowing different corals in different places (other than the extremly light demanding corals which would go on the top) with either the PC or the T5?

DrsFosterSmith says that neither PC nor T5 should be used in tanks 24" deep or deeper. Mine is 24" exactly, with the waterline an inch or two under the top of the tank, and the sand bed 2 inches above the bottom of the tank. So at 20ish inches, would the lightloss through the water be mostly neglegable?

Both will be similar in intensity with the Nova being a bit better IMO. Neither would be ideal for extremely light requiring corals though......the Nova does not have individual reflectors.

The Grim Reefer
07/10/2006, 05:53 PM
Neither are going to give you enough light for anything but lower light softies in the bottom of thetank.

Kiel'thalin
07/11/2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks again for the help. I purchased the Aquactinics T-5 Fixture with the 5 recommended bulbs yesterday. Can't wait to get it setup. Tom from Aquactinics seems to be a great guy, I have never had a supplier call me to make sure my order was correct, thumbs up to Tom!