PDA

View Full Version : Will freshwater dip kill apstasia??

Milleme
07/07/2006, 10:36 AM
Im redoin some rocks and figured I would take care of some apstasia. So will the freshwater dip take care of them. I also thought of putting epoxy over them. WHat do yall think?

thanx

Amphiprion
07/07/2006, 10:42 AM
Sure a freshwater dip will kill them--eventually. Additionally, it will kill the beneficial animals that you PAID for when you bought your live rock. I don't recommend it. If you can seal it completely (which is usually unlikely), then epoxying over the anemone could work. But being an invertebrate, they are able to squeeze through the tiniest of openings only to reemerge again. Even better is vinegar, lemon juice, kalkwasser, or the commercial brand, Joe's Juice injected with a syringe.

Duchess
07/07/2006, 10:01 PM
Joe's Juice is fed to the aipstasia with a syringe. You squirt it in the anemone's mouth. That's much easier than injecting vinegar or lemon juice into the stalk of the aipstasia with a needle.

If you're looking for a novel way to kill the pests and you're willing to expose your rock to air (for a moment anyway), you could get a barbeque lighter and "flame" the anemone. Note the location of the aipstasia, lift the rock out of the water, flame the area with the lighter, and lower the rock back into the water.

Good luck!

Amphiprion
07/07/2006, 10:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7701271#post7701271 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Duchess
Joe's Juice is fed to the aipstasia with a syringe.

You are right, I apologize. I was aware of it, but never made the distinction. The downside to Joe's juice is when you are dealing with other cnidarians in close proximity. Some people have reported that other things (i.e. zoanthids, etc) react negatively when they accidentally ingest it. Otherwise, it may potentially be the best (and easiest) way to deal with the problem.

JRod
07/07/2006, 10:11 PM
Concentrate Kalk in a syringe will do the trick also.

Peppermint shrimp are a hit or miss, sometimes they attack the stuff and other times prefer to eat what you feed them.

massman
07/07/2006, 10:11 PM
I have had success with boiling water injected into the aiptasia