PDA

View Full Version : anemones for sale

pixburg-reefer
07/07/2006, 11:52 AM
Hey everyone! I have 2 anemones for sale. I believe they are Phymanthus sp. and will not host clownfish. One is a little larger than 3 inches across; the other is a little smaller. They both have deep purple tentacles and a green center with small purple stripes. In the past 7 months, my large anemone has dropped these two anemones and it is dropping another baby now. I just don't have room for all of them. They do not roam around much and seem to find a spot fairly quickly. I also do target feed my tank cyclopeeze, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp once a week. Here are two pictures of what they look like. This first picture is the exact same anemone and coloration, the second picture is a close up of what they look like although my anemones have a green center.

http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/eng/0/1353/Phymanthus/buitendijki.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96387755@N00/145577922/

I am asking $15 per anemone. I will also not be able to make this months meeting.

Thanks!!

Kelly

Adam
07/07/2006, 05:30 PM
Hi Kelly,

Are these daughters of the one I gave you? If so and if you don't mind me thread-jacking, can I tell the story about how these critters came to the 'burgh?

Adam

pixburg-reefer
07/08/2006, 08:06 AM
Hey Adam,

Yes they are!!! :) Be my guest :D

Thanks!!!

Kelly

Adam
07/14/2006, 12:14 PM
Hi all,

These really are some unique and interesting anemones. They will reproduce in your tank, but not to pest proportions. They get to be about 4" or so across and although they will sting corals they come in direct contact with, they are certainly on the weak end of the scale and not a serious threat.

They have always been mostly green in my tank, but will develop quite a bit of purple under different lighting.

Anyway... I was in DC for their one day conference and one of their members (Michael Gerdes) and I were both fill-ins for Eric Borneman while he was away from the coral forum here at RC when he was on his honeymoon and other trips. While in DC Michael and I traded a couple of things and one of the things he gave me was one of these anemones which he got from Eric.

Eric did not know the ID of these anemones, but Daphne Fautin was one of the speakers and she immediately recognized them and rattled off the genus. I wish I had written it down!

pixburg-reefer
07/14/2006, 09:15 PM
They are both still available :)

Kelly

rickyfins
07/25/2006, 12:20 AM
Cool story Adam! Kelly how quickly are they cloning for you and growth rate?

thanks,

Rick

pixburg-reefer
07/25/2006, 07:43 AM
The cloning seems to be pretty rapid, for me I get a new baby every other month pretty much. And that is just from my original anemone from Adam. I don't know how long it will take for the babies to mature and reproduce themselves. I now have 3 babies since I posted this thread. Growth rate and development of the baby is very quick too. As Adam said, they do get to about 4 inches. Although I do feed my anemones weekly, so when my main anemone opens up fully, I have measured it to be around 5. These anemones do not split like the Entacmaea quadricolor or other anemones, when my large one reproduces it retracts back underneath the rock for a couple days or so, during this time the tentacles shorten and it becomes a darker color. Then it seems to twist off a part of its base, which becomes the baby anemone. The whole process takes about 3 or 4 days for me. Then you end up with a little chuck of the anemone, which over the next week begins to develop a hot pink color and tentacles, it also starts to search out for light. It's really very fascinating because they just don't work like your "average" anemone. Then my main anemone comes back out from under the rock and looks like it always does. Each anemone has a different preference for light. When I went to Adams house, all of his anemones were in the same spot, although he has MH and his were attached to a cup on the sand. I have 440 watts of VHO and my main anemone is at the top of my aquarium, the others have found spots lower and lower in the aquarium. One is even by my sand. When the babies first start to develop though, they seems to "follow" around the "mother" for a couple weeks, then when it is fully developed it finds its own spot.

So now I have 3 up for grabs but only two are fully developed.

Kelly