PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor troubles

salthappy
07/07/2006, 12:20 PM
I have a korllin 502 reactor on my 175gal reef and fish tank. It came with ARM media which I used for 2 months then replaced it with Korlith(sp). I've been adding kalkwasser in a drip also. I'm not able to maintain a cal. level of over 350. Any suggestions?

Richard Walston
07/07/2006, 01:42 PM
Adjust your reactor to maintain your alk first. Measure your alk if low then adjust your reactor to bring it up. this can be done by increasing your drip rate and your bubble count. the effluent should have a pH around 6 and a dKH around 15-20. Let the reactor stabilize the alk in the water then retest in a couple of days. If it is still low are not were you want it then adjust some more and test again in a day or so. Once your alk is stable than use turbo ca to bring your ca to were you want it. The reactor will do the rest. Just make sure you monitor the tanks pH from this point.

old salty
07/07/2006, 04:46 PM
I agree with the above. Dose whatever you have to in order to get your parameters where you want them, then use the reactor and limewater to maintain those parameters. If your alkalinity drops over a period of three days, then add a few more bubbles per minute, redose the tank until it is where you want it, and retest in a few days. It really helps to have a high quality needle valve to adjust the CO2 flow from the regulator.