PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead question

BigShakka
07/07/2006, 03:04 PM
What is the point of the powerhead? I currently have a maxi jet1200 in my tank. i dont know what the point of it is tho? can someone explain to me? and also whats a good place to position them and how much power should i have it on?

Flobajob
07/07/2006, 03:08 PM
The powerheads help keep organic matter in suspension, aiding filtration. Also, corals, as well as requiring good lighting and water params, also require certain levels of flow to survive. If there isn't enough flow then the corals will die (usually because they can't get rid of toxic waste that builds up inside their tissues).

AngeloM3
07/07/2006, 03:20 PM
they are used to try to recreate "the ocean" there a water currents in the ocean. powerheads give that current.

and just like Flobajob... pretty much any kind of coral need water current. some need low current, some need moderate current and some need high current

also they are used to ripple the water on top... that keeps scum from forming on the top. ever go to the beach at low-tide and see that foam stuff..... thats the scum i'm talking about

BigShakka
07/07/2006, 03:22 PM
so which direction should i have my powerhead pointing?

AngeloM3
07/07/2006, 03:27 PM
ummmmmm.......

what is the size of your tank?

and what kind and how many powerheads do you have?

will you be putting a sump or fuge under your tank?

BigShakka
07/07/2006, 03:44 PM
its a 44 gal hex, i have 1 maxi jet 1200 and no i dont have a sump or fuge, i just have my hang on filter and skimmer which add a little bit movement in the water

AngeloM3
07/07/2006, 03:54 PM
get at least 1 more... 2 would be better

with a hex...... hmmm.... maybe have one pointing to the front glass and take the other two... one on the right side and one on the left side and poing diagnoly towards the back

best thing to do.... search for the threads that have pictures of peoples tank and see how they have theirs set up

Sea Ninja
07/07/2006, 04:38 PM
A good placement for a maxi jet would be on the bottom half of the tank and aim the direction of the flow upward at an angle. This will cause the water to creat a wirlpool effect. I agree with Angelo in getting at least one or tewo more. You want to creat random water movement in a reef enviornment. After all look at the movement of the ocean, in then out, sometimes meeting directly over the corals.

AngeloM3
07/07/2006, 04:44 PM
ah so its better to point the MJ's up.... i got mine pointing level and kinda slightly down

captain19365
07/07/2006, 04:47 PM
I have 2 -270gph aquaclear powerheads, 1- 400 gph aquaclear powerhead and 1-power sweep at 160gph I use the 400gph upside down behind my live rock to keep all the crap from collecting there.