PDA

View Full Version : should i be worried

dmilne85
07/07/2006, 06:34 PM
I dropped a thing of superglue in my tank while i was attaching some frags to my live rock. i search all over the place for it and i even removed some rock. should i worry about the super glue rusting in my tank, or relasing something bad from the tube?

Billybeau1
07/07/2006, 07:04 PM
Never done that, the experts are all probably eatin dinner at the moment, but my gut tells me you really should try to find it and get it out of there. I would. :)

dmilne85
07/07/2006, 07:11 PM
yeah guts are telling me the same thing too... i also have the feeling that means im gonna have to take out alot, if not all my rocks and coral...which i dont want to do

Billybeau1
07/07/2006, 07:16 PM
well then hang tight for a bit. Jonathan or Boomer should be back in a bit :)

Boomer
07/07/2006, 09:44 PM
There is no toxicology reports on this stuff meaning anything for aquatic animals let alone seawater animals. One thing I found was to use carbon. You know when you sniff it you get smell pretty nasty gases, these a cyanoacrylate vapors, of which super glue is made of. Exposure to water will eventually hydrolyze the cyano (nitrile) group to a carboxylic acid. These acid are quite common in nature and form part of the nitrification cycle. However, cyanoacrylate is listed as incompatible with water.

Me I would get it out ;)

dmilne85
07/08/2006, 04:32 PM
i took out all my live rock and corals today to search for the the tube of superglue and i did not find it. its really frustrating but i dont knwo what else i can do. i have a feeling it got burried in my sand bed bceause it wasnt anywhere else. i know its in tehre somewhere... but im not about to distrupt my whole sand bed to search for it.

Boomer
07/08/2006, 04:36 PM
I is funny how one can drop things as big as a hammer off a table, look next to, under the table and it is not there:lol:

dmilne85
07/08/2006, 05:53 PM
seriously...this kinda stuff happens to me way to often. its like when im looking for my pen and i look all over for it and it turns out to be in my hand the whole time. hopefully nothing bad will happen from leaving this glue in teh tank.

Billybeau1
07/08/2006, 06:16 PM
I wasnt worried as much about the glue as I was the tube the glue was in. Boomer ?

dmilne85
07/08/2006, 07:06 PM
same. im not worried about the glue since i use it to attach my frags anyways, as many people do. im worried about the tube rusting or the label/paint on the tube releasing something. i guess i wont know until my tank starts showing signs of stress...

Billybeau1
07/08/2006, 07:14 PM
I hate to ask this but did you check on the floor behind the tank? Or maybe it fell on the floor and the cat carried it off ? Or did you see it actually fall in the tank ?

dmilne85
07/09/2006, 01:30 AM
well i did not see it fall in, i just know i had it resting on the edge of my tank while i was getting ready to glue a new frag i got in... and all the sudden it was gone... so it had to have fell in....unless it went flying across the room. i checked everywhere for it in and out of the tank.