PDA

View Full Version : Randy's two part users--how much?

giants4pc
07/07/2006, 06:41 PM
I compared his 'recipe to aragamilk. I've been using the Dowflake, Baking soda, epsom salt solution for several months. The ppm's of aragamilk are significantly higher than Randy's. Could this be why the haze in the tank lasted significantly longer after adding Aragamilk than it ever does with Randy's? I added 45 drops of aragamilk to my 90. I add a shot glass of calcium and a shot glass of baking soda mix each night. According to his additive, this would be the equivalent of what he recommends for a heavily stocked reef. Is this not enough. I've been adding for months now and my calcium was at 360 today. I do water changes every other week.

steve the plumb
07/07/2006, 07:54 PM
I dose it with a doser.I use half a gallon of alk recipe#1 in a week to ten days.The calcium is the same amount but I dose slower so it last 2 weeks.You should watch your mag levels.You will find if levels are low you will end up using more calcium to maintain the levels.I keep my mag at 1400.Randy suggests 1350 ppm.My calcium is at 400 ppm and alk stays at 9 dkh.I find its better to dose lower amounts using a doser thus getting more stable levels.I dose alk every 1 1/2 hr and calcium every 2 hrs.You should also check your make up water.Some salts have lwere trace elements than others.You may do water changes only to test your tank and find your calcium is lowere than a day ago.It takes time to get the right amount.You will see how much your tank requires some tanks use more cal,mag and alk than others.I have mostly sps and lps along with leathers.

bertoni
07/08/2006, 02:13 AM
I think AragaMilk is powdered aragonite, so it's basically dust in water. I would expect it to be a lot cloudier than the solutions in the DIY recipe.

I wouldn't worry much about the exact dose. As long as the water parameters are okay, the tank is probably fine. My tanks vary a lot in the consumption of calcium and carbonate. Just watch the [H, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium, and let the dosage follow.