PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever sell an entire reef setup to one person?

guitarfish
07/07/2006, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking about leaving the hobby for the forseeable future. I will probably have to slowly sell off livestock, rock, etc, then the tank & accessories piecemeal.

I was wondering if anyone has ever sold their whole kit & kaboodle to someone. It would obviously be a logisitical challenge to move a system, but I imagine it's doable.

Just wondering how likely/possible it is.

FishNutzBoi
07/07/2006, 07:55 PM
Im buying a whole setup from a guy :) Yes it is doable

McCrary
07/07/2006, 08:09 PM
You will get more money if you sell your stuff piece by piece, but it can take a while. If you just want to get rid of it, sell it as an entire setup.

outy
07/07/2006, 08:18 PM
i bought mine 10 years ago 100g $1000.00 for the works

bought it in the morning and it was up and running that evening, cloudy water but moved 30 miles

took all day and 1 friend to get it in and out of the truck

guitarfish
07/07/2006, 08:39 PM
OK, so it's doable then. I live in a somewhat rural area, so I don't know how many locals there will be to buy my items. Shipping rock & corals is definitely something I want to avoid. I'm not in a rush, so I can probably take my time if needed. Thanks everyone.

Sk8r
07/07/2006, 08:45 PM
I sold mine when I moved to a guy who was getting married.

Jamesurq
07/07/2006, 09:32 PM
I never sold it - but I moved mine and set back up twice.

Hoping to not have to do it again... (crossing fingers) not fun...

sugartooth
07/07/2006, 09:41 PM
I bought my 210 from someone that posted here at RC.
Turned out to live only 15 minutes away. It can be done, but the person was incredibly nice and got 7 guys to help with the move.
That plus two big cars and 5 trips back and forth. I have a pretty big tank with everything, including the RO/DI unit and Kalk doser.
That said, it took 5 hours to move everything. Then 2 days for everything to go back in. The delay was due to having to get PVC and repipe. We had to cut bulkheads and unions to get it through the door.
Having absolutely no prior experience with piping, it took a long time to get it right.
Home depot loves us:D

godoggo
07/10/2006, 12:26 AM
Definately!

Sold a 150 to a guy that lived 8 hours away - lots of rubbermaid tubs, power inverter for the car, heaters, powerheads, -

successfully moved the whole set-up, including all the water.

2 years later - all is well.

Good luck

SLHerch
07/10/2006, 07:42 AM
Just sold my 55 with fuge and sump to a guy on ebay. It was a really difficult move, but he managed to fit it all in his 4-Runner. You definetly will get more money by parting out your system. I took a major hit on mine, but due to time constraints, wasnt able to sell it piecemeal.