PDA

View Full Version : Acopora is dying

melbuinn
07/08/2006, 06:05 AM
My Acropora is dying it´s is turning all white every thing else is okey. The calcium is about 380. My Medal halid went off four about 1 week. So i just had a T5 around 0,5W per.liter. Does anybody know what is going on?

virginiabreeze6
07/08/2006, 06:13 AM
are the polyps still coming out?

smcnally
07/08/2006, 06:23 AM
Calcium seem a bit on the "getting low" side, but I don't think that's the cause. I would think that the MH being out for a week and then suddenly being back on full strength may have stressed it out bigtime. A week is a pretty long time for it to go without its primary lighting. If the polyps are still coming out as virginia mentioned, then it may have bleached out.

TCU Reefer
07/08/2006, 08:34 AM
How long has your tank been set up? What are the specifications?

Can you see little red dots or any tiny worms on it?

Do you have any other SPS in your tank and if so, are they doing okay?

sarduci
07/08/2006, 09:40 AM
Lack of proper lighting and shock from just turning it back on probably did it.

Sk8r
07/08/2006, 09:45 AM
WIth stony coral, change should be slow, not sudden, and big change in basic parameters is very stressful to them. These corals live in very slow time---they're around for centuries, and what you have is a splinter of the creature. They just don't cope with sudden human-scale timeframes very well. That's why we put lights on timers to be sure every day is Groundhog Day, just the same thing again and again with exactly the same params. A logbook for your water tests will enable you to spot a trend before it becomes a Change into too-low or too-high territory. A major shift like a piece of equipment going out or off-schedule can be a real danger to a coral reef.

fallen4378
07/08/2006, 12:12 PM
I'm with sarduci plus with the MH out on your tank it was a little cooler.

Marcus71
07/08/2006, 12:21 PM
sk8r, has real good info. I agree with him, did you check all your params?

melbuinn
07/08/2006, 02:19 PM
All my params is okey.just the calcium is a little low.this tank is about 5 mounth old. i have a sun coral ond some mushroom and they are really fine.there are no polyps out now and no red worm or dot, it´s all very white, in loving memory

Marcus71
07/08/2006, 02:59 PM
I hope he pulls through