PDA

View Full Version : possible pH control method...will this work? Critiques wanted

whalloper
07/08/2006, 02:03 PM
Maybe Im being stupid and this wont work, and maybe people already do this...please tell me what you think.

I dont use kalk, I use Seachem's Reef Advantage Calcium (with magnesium and strontium) in my top-off water, have a pretty large bio-load, and always use air conditioning (little fresh air in the house), so my pH likes to sit on the low side (around 7.8).

I already have a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper2 with pH controlling capability, so heres what I thought of doing...

Have a channel on the Reefkeeper set to turn on when the pH falls below 8.2. The device it would turn on would be an Aqualifter pump (very slow, almost dripping flow rate). It would pump water from a small bucket containing a buffer solution like Seachem Marine Buffer stirred with a small powerhead. Buffered water would slowly enter the sump until pH reached 8.2, at which time the Reefkeeper would shut the pump off.

scottfarcuz
07/08/2006, 02:09 PM
If your PH is low because of co2 your only real options are adding a large fuge with macro for more oxygen, or more ventilation. Some people also top off with kalk.

Adding buffer will raise alk.

whalloper
07/08/2006, 02:37 PM
but nothing else would be raising alk...will this raise it more than my demand for it for sure?

scottfarcuz
07/08/2006, 03:13 PM
That would depend on a lot of variables.

Even if it does meet the tanks demand without exceeding it I don't think it's going to be stable. co2 concentration is going to swing which in turn is going to make the alk swing.