PDA

View Full Version : nocturnal peppermint?

gusmanda
07/08/2006, 02:38 PM
are peppermint shrimps nocturnal? I've only managed to see mine at night. The little guy hasn't, unfortunately, had a taste for aipstasia that I hoped he would, by the way.

Bambalamb
07/08/2006, 03:28 PM
Mine goes out at night a lot more than the day. BTW, I have never seen mine touch any aiptasia. I used the Kalk/RO mixture to nuke what I had.

gusmanda
07/09/2006, 11:53 AM
guess I'll need to buy another peppermint then. What do they eat if they don't eat aipstasia? detritus?

Bambalamb
07/09/2006, 12:02 PM
If you are really just wanting to rid your tank of the aiptasia, read the sticky thread in this forum from Jonathan Bertoni titled "Methods of Aiptasia Control. That will give you some other options since the first PS didn't eat it.

HTH

jus10kase
07/09/2006, 12:42 PM
I just added 2 peppermints yesterday, and the 2 things I figured may be aptasia are gone after last night.

Sk8r
07/09/2006, 01:36 PM
They'll eat baby aiptasia quite handily...and yes, they are nocturnal. They will only eat the tentacles off the adults---occasionally a whole one, but rarely. They'll eat pellet food, and will occasionally snatch a coral polyp when they're desperate, but don't make a pest of themselves in that way. They will, however, eat yellow star polyps: they're relatives of the aiptasia and the shrimp can't tell the smells apart.