PDA

View Full Version : breaking in a skimmer?

ddboy
07/08/2006, 04:41 PM
I heard that some skimmer has a break in period, I just set up a new G3 with recir, and gate valve mod. can't seems to get any thing out from it. How long is the break in period and

Jim_S
07/08/2006, 04:49 PM
Could be a couple of hours, could be a couple of days. I actually bought a skimmer that didn't start to really pull stuff out for about 2 weeks. Pretty rare I think though. And I never could figure out why it took so long.

I do know that there needs to be a slime coat on the inside of the skimmer before it will start to function correctly.

Jim

ddboy
07/09/2006, 12:48 AM
So, it is the skimmer body needs to be break in, not the pump then. Anyone?

dmilne85
07/09/2006, 01:40 AM
i dont think the pump needs to break in, i think its just the build up of slime inside the skimmer. when i first got my Asm g1 it didnt start pulling stuff out until 8-10 days went buy and the inside got that slime coating. i did not know it at the time but it helps break in the asm skimmers if you run it for 24 hrs in fresh water then put in sump and have it at the lowest setting for untill you get the gunk built up in near the top of the collection cup . im not sure how they recommend to break in a skimmer with recirc and gate valve but i imagine it would be the same.

cootiebugg
07/09/2006, 04:19 AM
I put my asm in the bath tub filled with hot water, let it run about 1 hr. I waited for it to dry before I installed it. I had skimmate soon after.

MJAnderson
07/09/2006, 08:13 AM
10 hours in the bathtub for mine. Starting getting skimmate on day 2.

mg426
07/09/2006, 09:38 AM
Mine took about two days then look out !!!