PDA

View Full Version : new pump in 12g

matty0206
07/08/2006, 06:07 PM
Ok so I replaced the stock pump in my 12g nano with a maxi900 and I put a hydor flo in also! Is this a good plan? Also I replaced the bio rings in the second chamber with a purigen bag, in the thinking that the live rock will do the bio filtering? Any feed back would be awesome! thanks

ENraged
07/08/2006, 07:30 PM
sounds like you are on the rite track. Most use live rock rubble in one of the back chambers as well.

EdKruzel
07/09/2006, 11:51 AM
Sounds real good, let us know about your progress.

matty0206
07/09/2006, 02:33 PM
I found another guy here locally that said I should use the carbon bag once in a while and I was thinking of taking one of the spunges out of the first compartment and filling in with live rock rubble? What do you think?

SeaSwag
07/09/2006, 03:02 PM
I have 1 sponge and the carbon bag in the first chamber than LR rubble in the second chamber, then heater and stock pump in the last chamber on my Nano Cube.

What are the benefits of replacing the stock pump on the nano cubes other than better circulation?

matty0206
07/09/2006, 03:44 PM
i think thats it i also wanted more flow under the outlet so i added the hydor wich i dont think you can push with the stock pump? are there any benefits to the carbon? i hear it is only good for a short time?

SeaSwag
07/09/2006, 04:06 PM
I think it keeps the odor of the water down and helps keep it clean, I was told that I should change the bag every month.

EdKruzel
07/09/2006, 04:20 PM
Upgrading the powerhead does give more circulation and dependability over a stock pump.

Carbon should be used as a maintenance tool and not a constant filtration source.
Carbon works by both adsorption and absorption, once spent it will release excess nutrients back into the water column.
Changing every month should be safe enough provided your water doesn't contain extremely high counts of excess nutrients.

I recommend fresh carbon be used once monthly for about 3-5 days and then removed and discarded.
This will help "polish" the water giving the pristine appearance.
If left longer it will also remove good nutrients and require the hobbyist to supplement more often.