PDA

View Full Version : need Hubbell metal halide ID

VINH_XUAN
07/08/2006, 09:15 PM
Hi all
Please help me to answer few question about the Hubbell MH
I just bought a 400 watt Hubbell MH w/bulb and fixture. This set is similar to those used in the big warehouse or production plan.
_The bulb mogul type and rated as white color. Do you know what color temp for this type of bulb?
_Will 400 watt be too much of light for 55 gal tank?
_Finally, what type or method of chiller to handle the heat from a 400 watt ?
I couldn't find the answers for those questions from online and the RC search feature is no longer available.
Thanks all in advance

bertoni
07/10/2006, 07:46 PM
Hmm, no one's touch this one.

Most of those bulbs are pretty low in color temperature. They might work well enough to keep the corals growing, but the colors might not be that good.

400 W is too much for a 55g tank, in my opinion. You could mount it high off the tank, though, and it'd work. I don't think a chiller would be the issue. I think many corals wouldn't tolerate that bright a light, although if you worked carefully, you could probably find a fair number of them.

VINH_XUAN
07/21/2006, 05:47 AM
Thank you Bertoni
I'm thinking of making a canopy with the bulb is 12"-18" about the water and using fans

bertoni
07/21/2006, 01:32 PM
That might do it.

rustybucket145
07/21/2006, 01:46 PM
Whenever I need a color temp I just look the manufacturer up on the internet and call them. It usually only takes a few mins of research for them and they will give you the color temp and any other info you want on that bulb.

FatTony
07/21/2006, 01:55 PM
Any warehouse bulb will probably be between 3000K and 4000K, far too "yellow" for what you would probably want. It shouldn't be that hard to find a replacement bulb if you wanted one on Ebay for cheap. IMHO, 400 Watts would be awesome on a 55 if you wanted to keep SPS, LPS, and clams. Just make sure to mount it a foot off the water, like you planned. I keep 175 Watts over a 29H and it's about 10" off the water... and sometimes my corals act like they want MORE light.