PDA

View Full Version : General substrate question.

TCKTME
07/09/2006, 06:10 PM
Since I am not happy with the crushed coral, it's time for a sand bed. Our Nassarius snails are tring to bury themselves.

Current setup: 75gl/120lbs LR

I want some sand, but what kind (grain size)? It needs to be 1 1/2- 2" deep. No more. Is LS really the only way to go?

I would've searched, but as you know, it's never available.

Jason

clsanchez77
07/09/2006, 06:34 PM
You will see arguments all sort of ways:

Live Sand is the best way to go...provided you use the real thing and not the bagged crap. Should be fresh from the water for best diversity.

Having said that, true live sand is not necessary as your live rock will seed it.

I like the bagged sand from Caribsea. It is good sand as long as you do not pay into the bagged live sand...the theory just does not hold merit.

Grain size is based on aesthetics. I used Special Grade, just for its aesthetic purposes and not for any scientific reasons. My tank is a rubble zone so I mixed it with shells and crushed live rock.

Flipping through Anthony Calfo's book, Reef Invertebrates, for a intermediate bed, such as what you are planning, he recommends a coarse grain sand (2.0-4.0mm sized grain).

In the end, no one system is going to make or break your tank so fish around (yes, the searching takes patience) the sight and see what you like. Go over to www.marindepot.com and check out their substrate section for some ideas on what products have in color and grain size.

And finally, some reefers use just plain old sand from the hardware store. This is also acceptable, and much cheaper. Just make sure you use calcium/carbonate based sand and not silica based (same material as glass) sand. Silica sand is not harmful but does not provide the limiting buffering capacity of calcium/carbonate sand and may scratch your glass if you are not careful.

Chris

poppin_fresh
07/09/2006, 07:05 PM
I agree that crushed coral sucks, thats what I have (and hate) now. I have slowly been replacing mine with regular marine sand, purchased from LFS.

I wouldn't bother with "live sand" because you already have a bacterial colony set up. I would suck out the CC a little at a time and replace with sand so you dont wipe out the bacteria. This will give it a chance to colonize the sand in the process.

TCKTME
07/09/2006, 07:27 PM
I checked out this stuff http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0901

MHO, the grain size is almost the same as I have now with the CC. I would like to go smaller. Something like this http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0021

Bad idea for the snails?

Jason

poppin_fresh
07/09/2006, 07:34 PM
Its pretty hard to tell from those pictures. I would go to the LFS or box pet store and check out what they have there. You could always set up a couple zones with differing grain sizes so the snails can choose. My guess is any fine sand should be fine for them.

bertoni
07/09/2006, 07:37 PM
I went with the finest-grained sand available, and it's worked well for me. The coarser sands are better for certain burrowing animals like jawfish, but more animals prefer the finer sands. The finer sands are also less messy as far as collecting detritus, in my experience. The downside is that high levels of flow can be a problem.

clsanchez77
07/10/2006, 05:46 AM
I like the Flamingo Reef Sand, the sand grains are similar to what I have and you can have slightly higher flows than with the sugar grain sand (its only downfall that I am aware of).

Chris

clsanchez77
07/10/2006, 05:47 AM
Your snails would prefer the finest grade of sand you could get however.

Serioussnaps
07/10/2006, 02:55 PM
oolitic or sugar fine from CaribSea

ACBlinky
07/10/2006, 04:44 PM
I'll second that. I've used different grades in different tanks, my favourite by far is Bahamas Oolite.