PDA

View Full Version : Aquatrader MH?

dwdowney
07/09/2006, 09:06 PM
I am starting a 120gal SPS tank and I was wondering if anyone had any success with the Medal Halides sold on Aquatrader.com. They are ½ to 1/3 of the cost of any other name brand MH system. Are they junk? or a good way to save money? I would really like to save a little money on the light end so that I can afford a large Deltec skimmer.
Here's the link: http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=275

xtrstangx
07/09/2006, 09:11 PM
They are major junk.

Some guy's house started on fire from the ballast, not to mention lots of other quality issues.

bigcity51
07/09/2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah.. I would stay away from aquatrader.com, price looks good but products are made out of cheap material. I had experience with their protein skimmer, it wasn't that bad but needed to be modified a bit to make it work, but I wouldnt recommend that for the lights.

ozz1116
07/09/2006, 11:08 PM
I have used their lights before they work very well.
I have used them on soft and hard corals,I have also used many many
other brands and do not think they are bad

mr pink floyd
07/09/2006, 11:37 PM
the MH is not bad, the fasn are loud, wires came disconnected, but it stays pretty cool, just keep the balalst away form flammable stuff(paper, clothes, stuff lie kthat)

i haev it in my stand, which is wood, so i put some sheet metal below it, adn on the sides, i also cuz a hole i nthe back for air to move near it with the fans

as soon as i get a job (im only 15) im goign to upgrade to an aqualight

Paulairduck
07/10/2006, 01:21 AM
I have used the PC'S and they were OK. I think they are ok for a beginner that need's to get his nose wet. but for the long haul, you should deffinitely look elsewhere.

One thing that I have seen with the metal halide sytems is, FIRE!!!, that is why these lighting sytems are no longer in my house!!!

dwdowney
07/10/2006, 10:07 AM
I think I am going with 2X250 Hamilton and 2 96watt PC's. Can I stay with the magnetic balest?

dwdowney
07/10/2006, 10:09 AM
Ballast. I am an engineer. I can't spell.

Tate
07/10/2006, 10:47 AM
Alot of folks say they are junk, but I have the 24" PC fixture over my nano and it's great. It seems very sturdy, too. I can't speak for the MH fixtures though.

RichConley
07/10/2006, 11:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7711526#post7711526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
They are major junk.

Some guy's house started on fire from the ballast, not to mention lots of other quality issues.

I think I've heard of everthing from PFO to Geismann, to Maristars lighting on fire, so one account of someone lighting his house on fire doesnt mean anything to me.

That being said, if theres a trend of these things catching on fire, staying away woudl be good,

iamquockie
07/10/2006, 03:44 PM
I had the PC fixture from jebo--not the worst thing but it works. The bulbs are fine for the price. It was okay until i opened one up, the reflectors are cheap, wires are cheap, even the connectors were cheap. I think pcs are fairly low current so everything held up. If they use the same internal hardware in the MH, there maybe some trouble.

mr pink floyd
07/10/2006, 04:30 PM
i only bought becasue of price, im only 15, so it was good, i knew it was risky, thats why im slowly savign for a aqualight

i agree, good for a beginner, not long run though

nengland
07/10/2006, 05:34 PM
Aquatrader's reputation is questionable at best. Though the evidence seems anecdotal their build quality sucks big time.

Another downer is that the fixtures are overdriven. From what I understand the 175W bulbs and fixture are actually 150's being run hot and hard.