PDA

View Full Version : Keeping plywood/epoxy tanks coralline free?

Chihuahua6
07/09/2006, 11:12 PM
Is it difficult or impossible? I like the back and sides to have that deep ocean blue color. It gives the tank more depth in my opinion so I want to clean the coralline off of it as it develops. I am considering using the Sanitred product too and I am wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on cleaning the coralline off this product as well as the typical epoxy product.

H20ENG
07/10/2006, 05:07 PM
You dont want to scrape it with anything sharp due to the surface imperfections. Maybe silicone in a piece of thin blue acrylic to the back after you get done sealing the tank. That way you can scrape it all day:)

Chihuahua6
07/10/2006, 07:46 PM
Are you saying it is difficult to keep clean? I was thinking of using cleaning sponges made for cleaning aquariums, the rough ones on a stick. Would this work on epoxy? I don't want to add acrylic sheets due to the extra cost.

dirtyreefer
07/10/2006, 09:19 PM
Use vodka or any other carbon source. Use caution when using it too :)

Chihuahua6
07/11/2006, 12:05 AM
Dirtyreefer can you please explain?

elliotklinger
07/11/2006, 07:44 AM
Use coarse plastic scrub pad, you can find them at dollar store. They're the same as rough side of dishwashing scrub pad.

dirtyreefer
07/11/2006, 09:37 AM
Using a carbon source will inhibit the coraline algae from growing. Do a search for vodka, you'll find many threads on how to dose it. Be very careful though and start with a very small amount (something like .01ml per 100g). Adding too much at one time will easily use up all the oxygen in your tank, causing your fish to suffocate.

Trust me in that it does stop coraline growth though. You can also use a carbon source called "Reef-Resh Fuel" made by Polyp Labs: www.polyplabs.com <- What I use

dirtyreefer
07/11/2006, 09:39 AM
sorry double post

H20ENG
07/11/2006, 05:07 PM
What I meant was that the epoxy or especially rubber surface is not super flat like glass, it will have a bit of texture, so a razorblade or scraper is out. A coarse pad would be best.