PDA

View Full Version : Another Mantis Shrimp

brownsugar
07/10/2006, 05:09 AM
Hey people

After months of being free and my victory over two mantis shrimp.

I discovered to my shock horror the other day ive got another one which was never found before still in there.

Im a bit hesitant in breaking down my tank but will do it as a last option.

I dont have an exact fix on which rock he hiding in.

Im thinking of using a mantis shrimp trap. In particular - The Ultralife X-Terminator Mantis Shrimp Trap.

Anyone used it with sucess or failure ?

dime079
07/10/2006, 07:37 AM
Ultralife X-Terminator? isnt that a bit of an oxymoron?

thor32766
07/10/2006, 07:55 AM
i caught four of mine out of my tank just by fishing for them. I had raw shrimp on a stick and when i would put it near their home, they would leap on to it literally. Then just net them up. but this only works good if you know where they live. just a thought

skeeter_ca
07/10/2006, 08:00 AM
I'm working on #6 from my TBS rock. Here him all the time clicking but he won't show his face. Have that trap. all it does is catch my hermit crabs. Best results have been a metal grabber, skrewer, or pull the known rock and poor FW into the holes till he comes out.

techreef
07/10/2006, 09:02 AM
will be placing my TBS order in the next week or two, and i'm looking forward to the possiblity of hunting mantis shrimps with an equal mix of horror and excitement. i've read that pouring plain seltzer water into the rock holes (after you've removed the rock that they're hiding inside) makes the mantis just rocket out of its hiding hole.

brownsugar
07/10/2006, 10:53 AM
my rock is sourced from cairns & western australia
just read up

''About 400 species of mantis shrimp are known worldwide. Close to 250 species occur in the Indo-West Pacific region and more than half of these occur around Australia''

I dunno my tank is stocked up and none of the inhabitants have been hassled so far but at the same time dont want to take the risk

Do you think it would work better since i only have one hermit crab and a coral banded shrimp ?

i also heard they end up learning and once you try one method of killing and catching they remeber it.

ill try the methods outlines depending on my sucess with the trap will keep you all posted.

im dreading the future i want to add 40 more kilos. I do know of a store that keeps triggers and australian dottybacks within their live rock holding tanks.

techreef
07/10/2006, 10:59 AM
last Friday somebody posted a very cool thread about de-mantis'ing a newly setup tank of LR by putting an Octopus in the tank to eat all the mantis shrimp and gorilla crabs (well, any crabs, i guess) in the tank. He then planned to remove and return/sell the octopus before stocking the tank w/ his fish choices.