PDA

View Full Version : Need a few opinions

sandstorm1221
07/10/2006, 09:18 AM
I have alot of poop mostly, from my turbo and my other snails obviously dont touch the stuff. They stir the sand a bit but not enought to help out. I am slowly getting back Cyano and i believe that this poop layin on the sand is not helping, polluting the water. I clean out as much as i can when i do a water change, but not all of it.

If i get a small battery powered vacuum to suck this out, would it be worth it. If so what is a good model to get?

fallen4378
07/10/2006, 09:28 AM
I would frist look at your tank setup.

How big is your tank?
What do you have in the form of water movement "like power heads" and how my pgh are they moving?
What skimmer are you using and what is it rated for?
Are you feeding frozen food and if so are you drainning the out and then feeding?

what you are explaning one of these issue could be your problem. reply back with more info and will try and help more.

akrimmel
07/10/2006, 10:31 AM
i agree with fallen you can suck out the cyano if it is on the sandbed but you can also put a powerhead in the direction of the sand bed so it is less apt to setlle debree wise. do you have live rock. is it up against the back wall, if so move it foreward if possible and put a powerhead back there, common mistake with reefers in the beginning, waste will settle back there big time.

sandstorm1221
07/10/2006, 01:16 PM
I have 2 power heads in the tank, on each side. One points to the left blowing left toward the back and the other is about 4 inches below that on the right, blowing right, across the bow front. When I clean the tank and blow the stuff around with a turkey baster, they do keep the stuff in suspention. I've tried altering the hieght and location to see what results i get, and I would have to say these are the best so far. They are aquaclear 70 (400 gph) and do a great job at flow. Also the main pump blows at about 700 gph split between two ends.