PDA

View Full Version : Newbie! Need help

Xerious
07/10/2006, 06:37 PM
Hello, I just started this hobby last month. Since then, I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. I need some help getting my tank up and running though. Here is where I am.

I have a 80 gallon tank, with 60 lbs of Live Sand (I know I probably need another 20lbs.)

SeaClone150 – Protein Skimmer (its running, doesn't look like its doing much though)

Bio-Wheel filter (forget the name) its for a 100 gallon tank.

No power heads yet (looking at getting 2 of the Seko 620)

No Live rock yet (was going to get 10-20 lbs tonight)

Heater is fine (its turned off right now and my tank is at 80F, its hot here :)

Aerator.

I have been running my tank for 2 weeks now with the above systems running.

My Amonia level is at 0.25, but the Nitrite and Nitrate are still at 0 (meaning no bacteria). I am guessing this is because I have no Live Rock yet...

Today, I looked at my Live Sand, and the top layer is starting to turn a dark orange/brown color. Whats happening? Is it the baterica growing?

What should my next steps be?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info about my tank let me know.

Thanks!

crustin
07/10/2006, 06:45 PM
[welcome]

crustin
07/10/2006, 06:48 PM
if you have not read this already you should http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

Xerious
07/10/2006, 06:55 PM
ya, I read that earlier today (you had a link off of one of your posts).

I have been reading lots of posts on this website, trying to get all the info I can.

tye_c
07/10/2006, 07:02 PM
Go for a bigger skimmer. Dont skimp either. I went from a Seaclone to a ETSS Reef Devil and finally to an ASM G-3. I could have saved alot of money getting the G-3 first.

I would also get more rock and the get rid of the Bio- wheel.

bertoni
07/10/2006, 07:42 PM
The growth on the live sand is probably a mixture of diatoms, dinoflagellates, and cyanobacteria. That's common in new tanks, and I would just ignore it.

Have you read this article:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=707105

silversnake
07/11/2006, 12:02 AM
algae cycles will come an go until your tank is balanced.

Xerious
07/14/2006, 06:08 PM
ok, thanks, I added some Live Rock a few days ago, but the color is getting worse. It still have bout 4 weeks left for the tank to finish the cycle, so I am not too worried (yet!)