PDA

View Full Version : How long for PVC Cement to become inert and safe to use?

dirtyreefer
07/10/2006, 08:26 PM
I am trying to figure out why I had some mystery deaths last night after setting up my new tank last night. The only things I can blame it on is the PVC Cement or the Krylon Fusion Paint was not fully cured before adding to the inside of my tank (internal plumbing).

I cemented and painted the PVC 24 hours before adding to my tank, and it appears that one of these is the problem.

BTW, I am transferring the contents of my previous reef using established rock and water etc so it is not due to cycling or water parms (e.g. pH, temp, ammonia) etc.

Does any of you plumbers (or chemists) out there know the time for PVC cement to actually become safe to use? Thanks

harrisagogetter
07/10/2006, 08:54 PM
I am by no means a plumber but have seen a couple of fixtures before. i have almost never had a problem within 24 hours. I even think that i glued two pipes together and started running water through them with 30 min. That glue gets pretty hard pretty quick. Same thing with spraypaint.

xtrstangx
07/10/2006, 09:12 PM
I've used stuff within a hour.

outy
07/10/2006, 11:42 PM
same as above 15 min 2 nights ago and everything is fine

dirtyreefer
07/11/2006, 08:13 AM
Hmmm, thanks for the replies guys :)

Laakmann
07/11/2006, 08:47 AM
I set up a whole filter system for a 125 gallon and started running water through it same day (just water, no fish) and the fish in that aquarium are perfectly healthy

dirtyreefer
07/11/2006, 09:33 AM
Well I guess I can rule out the PVC cement then :)

My only other guess would be the Krylon Fusion paint that I painted the PVC with. That was done right after cementing the pieces together, and plumbed inside the tank 24 hours later.

leoskee
07/12/2006, 08:40 AM
There could have been some type of reaction where the pvc cement and the spray paint mixed. Just a guess. But if you waited 24 hours both should have dried enough to run safely.