PDA

View Full Version : Help! Super green water in my new 55G! caulerpa's fault?

gabrito
07/11/2006, 01:04 PM
Hey guys. I am in the process of seytting up a new 55 G tank. I made a 10G sump and put caulerpa in a refugium with 24/7 lighting (5100K). The tank has been running now for 2 months and 1 week. A few days after a put the algae (around a month ago) the water started turning green. I thought it was part of the cycle but a few days later the water became completely green to the point I couldn't see the rocks!!! I notice later that the caulerpa was dying so i removed it. Then I started doing water changes, added carbon and more filtration but the water is still green (less than before at least now i can start to see the rocks). is there anything i am missing? Water params are good. Only the PH is a little low. (7.9). Oh, and the tank has no fish in it. Only some hitchhikers (snails and thousands of pods, worms, etc.)

TIA

masterqaz
07/11/2006, 01:08 PM
the water is full of single cell algea. A very good way to get rid of it would be to use a Uv sterilizer. You can either buy one or go and borrow one of someone you know. You'll probably only need it for a fewdays.

gabrito
07/14/2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks!!! it worked!!!!!!!!!! in 2 days the water got crystal clear!!!!! You are a genius!