PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Questions

greenstarman
07/11/2006, 03:10 PM
In a conversation with a local Acrylic seller I found a piece of polycast acrylic 4'x4' 1/4 inch thick for $86 dollars. The gentleman proceded to ask me what I was going to use it for and I told him it was for a sump for a fish tank. I asked him what he does or uses to get clean cuts. He told me that he has heard that turning a table saws blade backwords, teeth away, will get a better cut then with the blade in normal. Has anyone found this to be true?

LazyD
07/11/2006, 03:39 PM
Not sure about that, but just about any cheapy plywood blade will do, I picked up I believe, it was 150 tooth for 8 bucks at Home Depot

hbn1234
07/11/2006, 04:41 PM
hey there...
we manufacturer acrylic aquariums and sumps, cal. reactors, skimmers etc... I wouldn't recommend putting the blade backwards...you'll most likely get melted edges. If possible, use a carbide tipped blade...with a triple chip edge to get the cleanest cut.
The plywood blades don't work very well...might be able to get a few cuts, but they wear down very quickly...just get a good carbide blade, and you should be able to cut acrylic and wood for any future projects...if you have any questions, please let me know.
h bui

greenstarman
07/11/2006, 06:15 PM
My dad works at a Rockler and was able to get me an Irwin blade carbide tipped 10" with 80 teeth will this suffice? Will the edges have to be cleaned with blade or sand paper? Thanks for you help. Sorry about all the questions.

hbn1234
07/11/2006, 08:19 PM
ask away...glad to help.
That blade should work,...not really sure if the edge will be 'clean' enough for glue there after. If there isn't any melting on the edge, it should be ok. Want you can try after cutting the acrylic is...taking a straight edge (i.e. the back of a new hacksaw blade, razor blade, etc...) and hold it perpendicular to the acrylic's newly cut edge...run it a few times down the length...this will help clean the edge a little.
If you have any questions, please let me know...later

greenstarman
07/12/2006, 04:41 PM
what about 2 thick straight edges and then sandwich the acrylic edge with a clamp and then use sandpaper till the edge is clean? That way with the 2 straight edges one on either side you won't create and angle on the edge it will stay flat.

hbn1234
07/12/2006, 08:17 PM
that should work...just make sure that when you sand the edge...make one long motion...otherwise some spots will be sanded more than other spots, causing gaps when you glue/solvent the pieces. Can start with 120 grit...then move up to 220...make sure to clean the sanded edge (wipe it down) before gluing/solventing...otherwise the 'dust' can affect the joint as well. If you have any other questions, please let me know...later

greenstarman
07/12/2006, 08:19 PM
thanks for the help... hopefully will start on the project this weekend. Thanks..

shadofax69
07/12/2006, 08:50 PM
Also if you have access to a router and router table or a planer you could shave off a small fraction of an inch with the router on a low speed and it will give you a very good gluing surface.