PDA

View Full Version : cycle boosters

steve_karen
07/11/2006, 06:33 PM
My LFS has a product which claims to speed up the cycle. It's beneficial bacteria needed for the cycle. I'm sorry but I foget the name (mabye bio max?). I'm sure there may be alot of different products out there. Are they beneficial or not. According to my LFS, the tank should cycle immediately?
What do you think?

bertoni
07/11/2006, 06:37 PM
I don't think they help. Various people have tried them, and the results don't really suggest that the products work. If the live rock is well-cured and not transported far, the tank might never show any ammonia. That's the best bet for an "immediate cycle", in my opinion.

steve_karen
07/11/2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks!!

Anyone else?

reefglobe
07/11/2006, 09:09 PM
those bacteria will die if the water hasent been conditioned right before you put them in. I set tanks up for people and i add BIO-Spira made by marineland, a week after i ad water, i have them wait another week and its safe to add hardy fish, and after another week they can add coral. Not instat but cuts the time in half. Make sure to use the right amount.

steve_karen
07/11/2006, 09:31 PM
That's the name of the product, Bio Spira!

DamnDamsel
07/11/2006, 09:35 PM
I would just wait out the cycle. You usually find lots of equip to tweak while the tank is cycling anyway you wont get bored:)

lux_06
07/11/2006, 09:53 PM
so hard to tell if this stuff works, cycled two tanks one prior to RC using these products and then i cycled another after joining RC without (except 1 small bottle when i got impateint) and the second tank cycled faster, just besauce i had lots of info to help me out from this forum.

brownsugar
07/11/2006, 10:44 PM
I did the live rock cycle for 4 weeks or so and just incase i used a bottle cycle which took 4 days or so after it all.

Your LFS talking noodles if they say you add bottle and your tanks cycled immediatly. It takes a couple days at least for bacteria to build up to safe levels before you can consider adding fish.

You need to be able to measure a spike of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites.

Its good to use if you dont have enought die off from your live rock to go throught a complete cycle e.g your using small amount of rock or your rock is cured.

But i used it as a supplementary product to help with my cycle.

I used an Australian brand Aquasonic

Ti
07/12/2006, 12:14 AM
Bio spira worked in a tank I setup once, but of course the results seem to vary witth people.

carfac
07/12/2006, 11:16 AM
I used bio-spyra, and it took two days for amonia to come down- not too bad. But I still waited the full month to let the tank settle. I still do not have any fish, just two corals (and snails/crabs) at 6 weeks).