PDA

View Full Version : Moving a manderin to a new tank and food needs???

Octoberfest
07/11/2006, 07:38 PM
I just moved all of my "stuff" from one tank to another. All the live rock went in and then some but I used new RO water and new sand seeded with a bit of my sand. Now my other tank had tons of pods in it, worms and baby mysis shrimp the sand bed was full of life. I didn't want to use the old sand though because I didn't want to risk stirring it all up. The old tank didn't have a sump, everything was HOB and no fuge.

The new tank has a wet/dry with some cheato in it and I will be adding a sump in the next coupld of days hopefully. So far when I look at the tank at night with a light I don't see any pods, well maybe a couple but not the hundreds like i did in the other tank. I do see my Manderin eat frozen Mysis everytime I put it in the tank but I know it would prefer pods. Also some of the baby Mysis are in the new tank, when I put a light on it at night with all the lights out the swarm around the flashlight beam.

So now that you have read a novel here is my question. Since my mandering eats forzen mysis will it survive going to the new tank while the pod poppulation builds up or should I bring it to the LFS....which might be a worse fate all together.

scrmbld33
07/11/2006, 08:00 PM
if its eating frozen mysis he should be fine, you should still have alot of pods in your rock after the move, just watch him and make sure hes eating

nodbugger
07/11/2006, 08:00 PM
For every large one you see there are millions of tiny ones you will never see, which is what the Mandarin eats. Of course there will be a large decrease in the population, but if they were able to keep up in the old tank with the Mandarin, they will be able to do it in the new tank.

Octoberfest
07/11/2006, 08:12 PM
the old tank is a 125 the new one is a 75 will that matter? Also the old tank had a ton of rubble rock in it, plenty of places for them to breed, the new tank only has large pieces.

NCreefwannabe
07/12/2006, 04:19 PM
tank size doesnt matter. they mainly live in the rocks. so if its got alot of rock in there, youll be fine. and since he eats other foods. you should be golden anyways.