PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing camera

whiteshark
07/11/2006, 08:51 PM
My dad is going out tomarrow to look for a digital camera. He asked me to come with him and help pick one out. Problem is, I really don't know jack about cameras. I was hoping to suggest something that would allow me to take good, close up pictures of my tank inhabitants. He doesnt want to spend a whole lot of money, but does want something decent. What should I be looking for? What features are important? Can anyone recommend a good camera that isn't way expensive?
Thanx!

raddogz
07/11/2006, 09:15 PM
How much is "expensive"? There are some great point and shoot cameras that can had for around the 300 to 400 dollar mark.

whiteshark
07/11/2006, 09:24 PM
probably not over 300 or 350. He doesn't want it for what I do. He just wants something to take pics of our vacations and family gatherings and what not. I figure if I get some input I can find one that can take decent shots of my tank ;)

raddogz
07/11/2006, 09:32 PM
My opinion is for many if not most cameras. The smaller the camera is not always better. The smaller it is the more it won't fit in your hand, and will have greater chance of it being dropped onto the floor.

I have seen some really nice Canon and Sony point and shoots that were very nice. Ultimately, if it's for your Dad he should test out each one himself (assuming he's using it) and see how it fits in his hand and yours.

All the greatest specs in the world is not going to do you a hill a beans worth of good if almost wind up dropping more often than not.