PDA

View Full Version : Catching a Hippo Tang

Rik James
07/11/2006, 09:19 PM
I've just noticed white spots on my hippo tang. From what I've read this is ich and should be treated right away. I will be buying a QT tank in the morning and treating the fish with the hypo salinity method.
My main question is how can I catch the little guy. He seems to be very shy and hides in the rock work whenever anyone walks by.
Any suggestions on treatment and capture would be much appreciated. Help please I can't stand having a sick fish. I promise to QT all new arrivals from now on. Help.
Thanks,
Matt

Steven Pro
07/12/2006, 06:53 AM
See here http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/index.php

cristhiam
07/12/2006, 07:48 AM
I a hippo once with the bottle method putting food in it. But mine was an agressive eater and didn't hide.

Rik James
07/12/2006, 11:56 AM
I think I have a plan. Tell me if this might work. I've had my current tank for 12 years (50g freshwater) and have been thinking of upgrading since I have switched it to SW.
If I pick up the 90g I've been eyeballing fill it with water and live sand (seed it with my current sand?) and get the cycle going. Can I then add my live rock, crabs and snails from my 50g maybe a week later without killing them?
All corals in the 50g could go to my12g nano for a little while(a few zoos, tongue coral, and mushroom rock).
I could then treat the 50g which at this point would only have my fish(hippoand yellow tang, strawberry peusdochromis, and purple firefish) and sand with either hyposalinity or copper. This would get me the new display tank I want and a large QT that I should have had from the start.
The sump for the display would not be able to be added for about a month. Can I install the bulkheads and a shut off valve until I get the sump? Could my new tank cycle without protein skimming, light(ambient light only), and just a few powerheads for circulation?
Also my current tank has a pengiun biowheel with carbon, cpr back pack skimmer, and SCWD wave maker with a 950gph pump.
I think I need to look into A.D.D medication.
Thanks,
Matt

Rik James
07/12/2006, 12:00 PM
I would also want to add more liverock to match the larger tank size. Would this pose any problems? And when should I add it?
Thanks,
Matt