PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fiji Mud

Psyclone
07/11/2006, 11:42 PM
I recently bought some Fiji mud from my local fish store because he said it would help my frags grow. He said to add about 1/2 a ts to my tank (12 gallons). Is this safe to dose while I have livestock in there? I did a search here but mostly read about it being added to a refuge. I currently have a watchman goby, wrasse, starfish & clean up crew with frags scattered around.

bertoni
07/12/2006, 04:24 PM
Can you give a link for the exact product? I've heard of mud as a substrate, but not as a supplement.

Psyclone
07/12/2006, 05:27 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_additives_walt_smith_fiji_mud_gold.asp?CartId=

I got the small can of Fiji Mud Refugium Booster and Starter. Does this help if I add it into an established tank of one year?

Thanks

bertoni
07/12/2006, 11:30 PM
From what I can find about that product, I don't think it'll do much of anything. It seems to be basically very fine sand, which won't help with calcium, alkalinity, or pH. There might also be some organic material in it, which is of doubtful value, in my opinion, because I don't see how many animals, etc, are going to feed on a dried mud.