PDA

View Full Version : Black long spine urchin reef safe?

bigevill1
07/12/2006, 01:21 PM
I know that pencil urchins eat everything in the world, but what about black long spine urchins?

Travis L. Stevens
07/12/2006, 01:35 PM
They are herbivores that aren't shy on what they eat. Red algae, green algae, brown algae, and all the colors in between. They also eat calcifying algae as well. So, I hope you don't mind stripes of white through your purple rocks. They are also very strong and can push over quite large rocks.

Agu
07/12/2006, 01:48 PM
They are also very strong and can push over quite large rocks.

Which means they can also push over your corals :eek1: .

Ron Popeil
07/12/2006, 02:15 PM
definetely reef safe, pretty secretive, fascinating and wonderful to look at. however, the ones ive had have grown very fast from the size of a dime to mini basketball in 5 months. not to mention, those spines are quite a delight when they puncture your skin.

masterqaz
07/12/2006, 11:35 PM
they also carry a toxin in their smaller spines located closer to the body. As for strenght in a urchin they are not the strongest like some rock urchins (which at times can seem impossible to remove from rocks) So this means they arnt going to knock over huge rocks like others can. Definate Reef Safe though.

masterqaz
07/12/2006, 11:40 PM
[i] They also eat calcifying algae as well. So, I hope you don't mind stripes of white through your purple rocks.[/B] Not entirely true. they are one of the better urchins for that. In the 8 months that i had mine i never had a problem with it making marks in the coriline algea.

bigevill1
07/13/2006, 06:21 AM
okie dokie, thanx guys. I actually already had one, but am planning on getting a few SPS and wanted to make sure he wouldnt make a snack out of them.

RichConley
07/13/2006, 07:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7733350#post7733350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masterqaz
Not entirely true. they are one of the better urchins for that. In the 8 months that i had mine i never had a problem with it making marks in the coriline algea.

Mine has left stripes all over my rocks.

Travis L. Stevens
07/13/2006, 08:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7733327#post7733327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masterqaz
they also carry a toxin in their smaller spines located closer to the body. As for strenght in a urchin they are not the strongest like some rock urchins (which at times can seem impossible to remove from rocks) So this means they arnt going to knock over huge rocks like others can. Definate Reef Safe though.

The toxin that you are speaking of is present in all the spines. Luckily the toxin is mild and rarely has an effect on a human. Of course, anaphylactic shock should be something you should take precaution of when dealing with any venomous animal. There is more of a risk when getting stung by these urchins that a piece of the spine will break off in the skin. The would can easily become infected without proper treatment. Often after being stung, you get tattooed as the spine leaves deep purplish tissue left in your skin. Over a short period of time, the branding will go away.

Though they are not strong, they are strong enough to cause avalanches in your rock work and knock down unsecured frags. Even the smallest avalanche could be devastating.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7733350#post7733350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masterqaz
Not entirely true. they are one of the better urchins for that. In the 8 months that i had mine i never had a problem with it making marks in the coriline algea.

Like all livestock, every specimen is different. The fact is it does it Coralline Algae. How much it eats is up to the individual specimen.

bigevill1
07/13/2006, 09:10 AM
I would wager the amount of coralline it eats might depend on what else there is to eat in the tank for him.

Travis L. Stevens
07/13/2006, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7734865#post7734865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigevill
I would wager the amount of coralline it eats might depend on what else there is to eat in the tank for him.

Most likely. But an urchin obtains its source of calcium through what it eats. So things like Coralline algae and Halimeda algae are delacacies needed for the urchin to grow.

ShellBell
07/13/2006, 06:28 PM
I like my urchin don't get me wrong but if I had the chance I don't think I would get another one. I wake up every morning to a coral on my sand bed. Just something to consider.;)