PDA

View Full Version : anyone familiar with red bubble algea?

limige
07/12/2006, 01:55 PM
it's been a curse of mine, i'm trying to get rid of it, what can i do?

it's definitely a red bubble algea, covers rocks, does not grow up vertically. and each bubble is filled with a gel that i think has spores that spread it.

i scraped it off my rock peice by piece but it's growing on my tank walls, my overflow, skimmer, fills my sump.

HELP!

mike

Travis L. Stevens
07/12/2006, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear about that. They are a pain to get rid of. I got lucky. I am fish-sitting a friend's Yellow Tang. It took it a while, but it quickly became his favorite algae to eat. I guess they were his Gusher Fruit Snacks :lmao:

limige
07/12/2006, 04:48 PM
a yellow tang ate red bubble!!???
please tell me this is what your saying i'll go buy one right away!

outy
07/12/2006, 05:15 PM
ive had em for 8 years off and on, even with perfect water there still there just less growth and reproduction then with slight nitrates and phos.

certain livestock additions have almost wiped em out the best i had was baby emperor but he started in on the corals too so off he went to a buddies house.

nm354
07/12/2006, 05:23 PM
I used to have problems with it in my old tank but ever since the new one it has gone away completely. So who knows it probably has to do with the new skimmer, lots more flow, and just a cleaner enviroment.

keinreis
07/12/2006, 06:12 PM
my 55 gal reef had a bad case of it. I just transfered into a 90 gal, and in the process I took the rocks out of the 55 one by one, and carefully removed every last bit if t, and then rinced it with salt water, and then put it into the 90. I hope it stays away!

tomeo1031
07/12/2006, 07:22 PM
This article has some good info on controlling your bubble algae, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php