PDA

View Full Version : Too many crabs?

MeuserReef
07/12/2006, 03:56 PM
I have a 30 gallon reef and I think I may have too many crabs. I have around 15 hermits in the main tank (red and blue). Im thinking of reducing this number due to them constantly killing my snails. I found two of them carrying my starfish behind the rocks yesterday (I saved him but i know it was just luck to have been in the right place at the right time).

How many crabs do you all have and in what sized tanks?

thanks

xtrstangx
07/12/2006, 03:59 PM
I'd take about 15 of them out.

Crabs are terrible. They are oppertunistic so they will eat whatever they think looks good (corals, algae, snails, starfish, etc)

MeuserReef
07/12/2006, 07:04 PM
my thoughts exactly!

any one else run crab-less?

DamnDamsel
07/12/2006, 07:11 PM
To funny to watch to go without for me:)

Ursus
07/12/2006, 07:13 PM
I have zero crabs in my tank. In fact, I only have 6 Trochus snails in it as my clean up crew. Keep in mind I have a very, very lightly stocked tank with not corals added yet, but they get the job done.

P.S. - I use tap water.... don't tell :D

RichConley
07/12/2006, 07:32 PM
I have plenty of hermits in my tank. THey dont bother anything.

Tons of food in, tons of skimmate out, will keep your reef much healthier than feeding once a week

ERICinFL
07/12/2006, 08:17 PM
I usually drop some shrimp pellets in the tank after lights out. They usually stay pretty full, so they leave my other stuff alone.

maddyfish
07/12/2006, 08:23 PM
I have blue legs, they have bothered nothing in 2 years. I also have zebra hermits, they occasionally kill a snail.

icepick5587
07/12/2006, 08:28 PM
I run crab-less. My hermits would pick on my feather duster.

Pico Keeper
07/12/2006, 08:35 PM
My Hermits killed a feather duster too, and a couple snails.

I used to be very careful to feed my fish very slowly, so nothing would reach the bottom, and they would eat everything. Now I dont pay as much attention, and I let the hermit crabs eat what falls to the bottom.. Now they dont bother anything anymore.

I think the key is to add them slowly only as you need them. I also stay away from scarlets, dwarf blue legs, and electric bandeds.. They same to be the most troublesome, I just use normal blue legs..

The best cleaners in my tank are not snails or hermits, they are stomatella's... the clean everything at an amazing rate!! plus they look cool, and people are always asking,, OMG what is that slug thing...

MeuserReef
07/13/2006, 07:13 AM
Pico Keeper... Is a stomatella the same thing as a "sea hare"?