PDA

View Full Version : Boris wants to Bust my Head

rwhhunt
07/12/2006, 04:20 PM
I have noticed something very peculiar this past week....
My female peacock mantis is about 5-6", and I believe is going to be molting soon due to all of her aggressive behavior and rearranging of rocks and rubble (this seems to the pattern over the past 1.5 years Ive had her). Sometime last week we were having a staring contest because she has built her burrow right next to the side of the tank where we can keep a VERY close eye on each other. So, I was sitting there and looked down for a second to pic up something, such that the TOP of my head and hair was right in front of her, Well she immediatly shot up and was apparently trying to climb on top of my head, b/c when I looked back up she sat back down in her den!...SO I try showing the side of my head...nothing...i dip down low so she cant see me,..nothing... she doesnt respond to my hand, cellphone screen, etc, ONLY when I stick my hair on the glass. Infact, just a couple days ago she scared the $hit out of me while I was bending down in front of the tank to put some flake food away in the undercabinet, and as I look up Boris is about 2cm away from my face in full force flying at me! I was startled to say the least. Since finding this out, I have got her to stike on the glass twice at my head, but since me tank is glass (6-7 mm) I dont try to provoke that often for obvious reasons....
Dr Roy, do any of your mantids want to crack you head???
Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments on this phenomenon??

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/rwhhunt/IMGP1232.jpg

Salty Bginners
07/12/2006, 08:45 PM
JESUS LOOK AT THOES FIREWORMS!
Cool mantis....i had 1...it died.....what kind of mantis is she?

Crawling68
07/12/2006, 08:52 PM
..........I believe thats a bristlestar. And she is a peacock.

Salty Bginners
07/12/2006, 09:18 PM
oops.......brittle star...right.. i knew that see...i was just testing you to see if you knew that. good job. you passed the test! cool looking peacock

Gonodactylus
07/12/2006, 10:27 PM
Perhaps she sees your head as a predatory threat. Does it resemble an octopus or morey?

Roy

30mini
07/13/2006, 06:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7732937#post7732937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gonodactylus
Does it resemble an octopus or morey?

No way... BUUUUURRRRRNN!!!!!!!!!!!

travisurfer
07/13/2006, 09:22 AM
try sticking your head in the tank so that he knows that he cant crack your skull :rollface: for some reason im not sure if that would even work:eek1:

majestic sea life
07/13/2006, 09:59 AM
30mini,

You can be a little nicer man. Dr.Roy was just trying to help.

30mini
07/13/2006, 10:21 AM
You can't tell me that it wasn't funny... I'm just laughing b/c it was Roy that said it!

rwhhunt
07/13/2006, 05:24 PM
HAHA! I was thinking more along the lines of a sea urchin..for mantis shrimp love urchin meat...