PDA

View Full Version : weird favia + problem

m3rcury
07/12/2006, 05:14 PM
hi folks,

i bought what, i think, is a pretty unique favia. here is a pic:

http://www.stupiddoes.com/17s/m3rcury/favia.jpg

as you can see, the shape is pretty strange. this means that there are parts of the coral that cannot receive any direct light from my MH. in particular, the underside of the right "knob." the part on the bottom of that knob appears to be dying.

so, how can i prevent this? i have tried feeding it mysis as well as cyclopeeze and it doesn't seem interested in either. at night, when the feeder tenticles are out, i try to use a baster to direct cyclopeeze or mysis into the feeders, but they don't actually grab the food. it just bounces off.

so, what can i do to keep this healthy and how do i feed it?

thanks for your help !!! it is probably my favorite coral and i want it to thrive in my tank !!!

stevedola
07/13/2006, 10:24 AM
you can try feeding it DTs Oyster eggs which is a smaller particle food. ANd since the food seems to bounce off the coral you might want to try placing a tupperware container over the coral after you feed to help keep the food near the coral.

It is oddly shaped and if it were my coral and I wanted all of the coral to recieve enough light I would probably cut it so that I can attach to better lit areas of the tank. Also you could cut it and make some frags to recoup the price you paid on the coral.

JeRmZ
07/13/2006, 11:06 AM
I would definitely try to split it. Looks like there is a couple spots that may not be getting enough light!

I would get inline for a nice frag of that!

m3rcury
07/13/2006, 01:06 PM
bummer. i bought it because of the unique shape :(

oh, and it wraps all the way around the back too, so how would i frag that? i guess i could cut the "knobs" off.