PDA

View Full Version : Length vs girth...skimmer that is.

Volcano1
07/12/2006, 06:41 PM
Trying to plan an upgrade for my 450 system. Currently have ASM G-6. While researching choices, seems alot of the brands I've been considering either go taller or bigger diameter to increase skimer capacity size. So is a larger..rounder skimmer going to give you more contact time than a smaller taller skimmer?
Ie 8" x 48"vs 24" x 30".
Skimmer won't be in a stand so height is no real issue. Wanted to stay with NW type. Is either better suited for recurc. than the other?

RichConley
07/12/2006, 06:44 PM
Figure out the volume.

Heres how it works: SKimmer height increases contact time. Skimmer height also decreases air draw, boohoo.

Needlewheels tend to not work real well with great head height, so thats why they tend to get real wide, and not real tall.

If you're going to DIY, go as tall and wide as you can afford, and run an airpump on the pumps.

Roland Jacques
07/12/2006, 07:15 PM
doing the math the

24" x 30"= 59 gallons
vs
8" x 48"= 10 gallons

Humm:rolleyes:

Volcano1
07/12/2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks,
Trying to figure out best way to go on size so I can plan for the space. Waiting for Spazz to get caught up with his orders and schedule. Looked like some of the H&S and deltec could go either high or wide, depending on the skimmer. I guess the volumes were close , but the design was differant. Just wanted to figure the reasoning behind the designs. Any design feedback welcome on 450 system. Mostly lps, 5 large tangs, foxface, bengi, 2 royal grams, 10 chromis, anthis,mandrian goby,2 clowns. Corals fairly heavy.

Thanks,

Todd

Roland Jacques
07/12/2006, 08:02 PM
cost is your main factor. it is cheeper to get your skimmer volume going tall than buying wider tubes. for big skimmers like 58 gallons i go square body much much cheeper than round tubes. but i dont think spazz will build square skimmers he does not seem to have much fath in them. i look for value and square gives it IMO.