PDA

View Full Version : Turbo snail rearing up on its tail..?

MrSpiffy
07/12/2006, 08:23 PM
My turbo snail keeps rearing up on its tail/behind. Has anyone else seen this before? What's he doing? I only have one turbo snail, so it doesn't seem likely that it's a mating or fighting ritual or any kind. I thought maybe he tipped over, so I put him back on his foot a couple times. But he keeps standing up. What's the deal with this wierd little guy?

waynemk
07/12/2006, 11:22 PM
I have seen my snails do this every so often. occasionally there will be a bit of something "overhead" that they grab onto and move off in that direction.

Does it sit there for more than 5 minutes? Maybe I'm darwinian at heart but i always thought its better to keep my hands out of the tank and anyone (unless its a prized/expensive piece) not able to keep itsself alive probably doesnt belong.

Seriously, does it sit there for hours or will it move on eventually? I haven't done a FOWLR so I'm not sure how much a of a clean up crew it takes but maybe get another turbo snail. 20 gal should be able to keep both alive.

MrSpiffy
07/13/2006, 05:29 PM
Yep. The guy sat there for quite some time like that. I don't know about hours, but definitely for a good half hour or something. I kinda stopped watching after that...boredom set in. Can't say it was overly exciting, but I have no clue what he was doing.

smorrow5773
07/13/2006, 05:33 PM
They do that when "in the mood" You could get another one and watch the clouds of "smoke" although I am not sure if anyone succesfully breeds them. Their spawn does provide food for corals and plankton though.

chrisstie
07/13/2006, 06:32 PM
Imagine if people acted like snails?

MrSpiffy
07/13/2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks, everyone! Sounds like the little guy was just a bit randy.