PDA

View Full Version : Petco fish...works for me.

D-Rod
07/12/2006, 09:38 PM
I know some people bag on petco and how they keep there livestock, however the one that i shop at will special order livestock and NOT put it in there tanks they will call me and i pick them up that afternoon. they get the livestock the same places our local LFS get them, it's the same boxes that i've seen.

the only difference is the price.
Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp 2" $ 12.99
6 line wrasse 1-1/2" $10.99
and some others always alot cheaper than LFS or online.

this is just to let you know for those who want to save some $
i don't know if they all can do special orders?

"THIS IS FOR INFO ONLY"

WE DON'T NEED TO READ ALL ABOUT "YOUR" HORROR STORIES AND HOW YOU WILL NEVER SHOP THERE...WE ALL HAVE HEARD THEM...

N_Sarno
07/12/2006, 09:47 PM
Not a bad idea.. I have friends that work @ Petco.. my only concern would be that they may die after the stress of shipping etc.. and there is no guarantee @ petco... other then that.. pretty good idea because I'd never let a fish that touched their water into mine! lol

mleinart
07/12/2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah I can believe this. My experience with most large chains in general is that you really have to judge store-by-store most of the time. While some (or the majority) of a store's chains may be badly managed, there are nearly always locations where the people _do_ care about their product and their customers and manage their store well.

I generally dislike petsmarts, but there's one near my house that I do go to. Their main fish guy has worked there as long as I've been keeping (freshwater) fish - about 11 years - and always has good advice and knows his stock well.

PRESTO2345
07/12/2006, 09:57 PM
Petco ain't bad if you have someone working there.
The problem in my area is that they have a ich problem, and sometimes come in diseased. Then these fish as kept in the same tank as regular fish and so on and on.

Best thing I've been able to do is QT them for six months before I drop them into my show tank.

joeycadre
07/12/2006, 10:35 PM
petco, just like walmart, is all about putting small locals out of business. if you want to do that and fill the pockets of ceo's a thousand miles away while hard working folks put their heart and souls into small locally owned shops, then by all means do it.

Aquabucket
07/12/2006, 10:35 PM
The Petco corporation kills more livestock than you can imagine! By purchasing your livestock there you are supporting an unethical company just to save a few bucks.

RichConley
07/12/2006, 10:40 PM
I actually have had much higher livestock survival rates from the Petco near me than any other place. That being said, its not just a few bucks. My solarensis cost me $19.99 at Petco. The LFS near me wanted $120.

AZDesertRat
07/12/2006, 10:57 PM
I will second the sucess rate. Every fisn in my current 2.5 year old reef is from one particular Petco store and I have never lost a fish from there. The stores old location was just as good as I have a 14 year old Sebae anemone and had a Hippo Tang that was 13 when I sold my 90 G tank with inhabitants. I also had a Red Sea Purple Tang in that same tank that was 7 years old at that time.
It all depends on the store manager and their staff. Some are good but most leave a lot to be desired.

Aquabucket
07/12/2006, 11:00 PM
Good for you! I can't even stock net collected Yellow tangs anymore because of Petco's low ball pricing. Some local Petco stores do an alright job with their livestock but as a corporation Petco is responsible for killing vast amounts of livestock. They purchase marine life in astounding quantities and treat living beings as a commodity.

I realize that many hobbyists don't have much in the way of alternative sources for livestock in certain areas and Petco may be their only choice. It still does not change the fact that as a corporation Petco is one of the most fined companies in the US in regard to animal cruelty.

Enjoy your savings! Maybe some of the cash you spent there helped off-set some of their fines.

What many hobbyists don't realize is Petco is ruthless when it comes to destroying mom and pop stores and the like. They will undercut prices and take losses to destroy any local competition.

It seems to be the American way these days.

msuzuki126
07/12/2006, 11:02 PM
Well D-rod. I guess you're going to hear about all the horror stories anyway. :)

Aquabucket
07/12/2006, 11:20 PM
Its called apathy. Most people don't care unless it effects them directly.

As an ethical LFS marine life coordinator I like to hear favorable results that hobbyists experience at certain localized Petco stores. I am a hobbyist first and have a high regard for living creatures. Its just a shame that a vast majority of Petco stores are poorly run. I don't enjoy raining on anyones parade but that will never stop me from trying to pursuade other hobbyists from supporting this corporation. Most fail to see the big picture.

AZDesertRat
07/13/2006, 08:19 AM
Unfortunately in our quest for the best deal we as a society have created this monster. We are all accustomed to paying lower that what is considered retail price and getting that bargain. Things like mail order and later the internet have perpetuated it also. I like everyone else hate to see the mom and pop places go by the wayside but its almost impossible to stop at this point.

RichConley
07/13/2006, 08:45 AM
Heres the deal:

If a fish was $20 at petco, and $30 at the LFS, I'd shop the LFS every time. Thats not what happens though.

Yellow Tangs are Net Caught at petco, and are $15 around me. THeyre most likely cyanide caught at the LFSs, and theyre $50+. In this case, buying from the LFS is not only more expensive, but it causes more fish to be cyanide caught, and more to die in transit.

Fairy wrasses are $20 at petco. Theyre $75-250 at my LFS. YWG? $12 at petco. $35 at the LFS. Petco has ORA clowns, my lFS has wild. Neon gobies are $7 at petco near me, the LFS, $28.

Its not a case of people "getting a bargain" its a case of the prices being on different orders of magnitude.

The last fish I bought from petco was a 4" Cirrhilabrus Cyanopleura for $22.99. A week later my LFS got a shipment in of them, and was selling them for $125-150 depending on size.

I'd love to do more LFS shopping, but I honestly can not AFFORD it.

andyjd
07/13/2006, 09:11 AM
Mom & pop shops will never be able to compete with petco & walmart on price, they HAVE to compete on quality and service.

And that boys and girls is a FACT

RichConley
07/13/2006, 09:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7734868#post7734868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andyjd
Mom & pop shops will never be able to compete with petco & walmart on price, they HAVE to compete on quality and service.

And that boys and girls is a FACT

Exactly, except the LFS near us says they can't afford to offer guarantees/hold fish,etc, which is why we dont shop there, which is why they can't afford it...

Aquabucket
07/13/2006, 09:24 AM
Yellow tangs are not collected with cyanide. Sorry but you are missinformed here.

Don't get me wrong Rich I understand your dillema. I have even bought fish from Petco in the past. You are fortunate to have one of the better stores near you. For me its fustrating sometimes when I spend hours helping customers set-up their tanks properly and later learn that they purchased livestock from our local Petco. Then come in and ask me what to do about their ich infestations.

Nothing beats an ethical LFS that gives good advice and informs their customers of the special needs many of these creatures need to survive in captivity. The local Petco here will sell a Yellow Tang to anyone with-out even bothering to ask how its going to be taken care of.

I can't count how many customers come in with 20-30 gallon tanks housing Yellow Tangs and the like because the guy at Petco said it would do just fine. Then its up to me to inform them that they made a poor choice. Most customers do not react favorably to this and often walk out of the store. I hope you can understand my contempt for the Petco corporation as a whole.

andyjd
07/13/2006, 09:25 AM
then you can probably wave bye bye to the LFS, not holding fish is just silly IMHO.

If they do close, will they blame petco for putting them out of bussines ? .... probably

oldsaltman
07/13/2006, 09:28 AM
When you just need good advise where do you go then? The owner of a LFS or the kid who works parttime at PETCO? I know where I buy my fish!

andyjd
07/13/2006, 09:30 AM
Nothing beats an ethical LFS that gives good advice and informs their customers of the special needs many of these creatures need to survive in captivity.

Exactly... i'm happy to pay a little more at a LFS and get good advice
(i've got fish from LFS & Petco in my tank)

Not wishing to highjack this thread but:
Remember "Teenage Ninja turtels" and how huge they were, every kid wanted a turtle as a pet, then got bored of them and dumped them.

How long before this happens with Nemo & Dory?

oldsaltman
07/13/2006, 11:23 AM
The only I read this post is because of the following:
I should have stated earlier that I have only been to PETCO two times. I was going to my LFS about a month ago and there is a new Petco two block away. I went in and looked around. That was my first time in one of their stores. They did have a nice clean store with lots of fish. I didn’t really price them but they looked healthy. Yesterday I went back to my LFS and decided to stop in Petco and get my dog some treats. I was really disappointed when I saw their fish. They are sick, diseased and not being taken care of. My fish are happy and healthy and it hurt me to see their fish in that condition. I don’t know if I can stand to go back!

RichConley
07/13/2006, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7734966#post7734966 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ghughes57
When you just need good advise where do you go then? The owner of a LFS or the kid who works parttime at PETCO? I know where I buy my fish!

I go here, and to my local club, etc.

The advice, IME, from LFS in general, is like 1 step up from Petco. Most of them will tell you its fine to put a yellow tang in a 55, or that you need to have that big fancy $200 product that you have no need for. Theyre under economic pressure, they need to make sales.

oldsaltman
07/13/2006, 11:49 AM
"from LFS in general, is like 1 step up from Petco"

Sorry, but if that were my LFS I would find a good one!

RichConley
07/13/2006, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7735894#post7735894 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ghughes57
"from LFS in general, is like 1 step up from Petco"

Sorry, but if that were my LFS I would find a good one!

You can get great advice from LFS owners, etc, but the general employees in most LFS are worse than PetCo employees. Atleast the the petco kids will tell you they have no idea what you're talking about. The LFS kids usually have a small tank, have some xenia, and think they have can give you advice about keeping reasonably difficult fish.

nodbugger
07/13/2006, 12:04 PM
To go to any fish store I need to make a 20 minute drive to Orland Park. Not very far away. There are three LFS there that I go to, then there is a Petco and a Petsmart. I get all the dry goods at Petsmart because it is very close and much cheaper than the LFs. One LFS has a nice selection of moderately priced corals, and a decent fish selection. Another has an excellent fish section, and over priced corals. The other I have gone in there, but haven't bought anything from there, they never have anything I want.

I have not been to Petco in a long time. I remember they had decent prices. Sometimes everything looked healthy, other times things looked horrible.

Petco doesn't have corals here and probably never will. When ever I go into the two better LFS there are always at least 10 or so other people in there looking as well. The only thing the chains really beat an LFS with is dry good prices.

D-Rod
07/13/2006, 12:24 PM
You can try to blame big box stores for causing small independent
stores too close down! however, how many times do you into one and there are 1 or 2 customers there! why, there are way overpriced. stores that close down have more problems than a new store opening up, they have RENT, INSURANCE, WORKMANS COMP INSURANCE, UTILITIES, PAYROLL etc... and a POOR BUSINESS PLAN and the unwillingness to change untill it's too late. so any slight change in there stores business pushes them over when there already hanging by one finger...

i seen LFS's sell a tang or other fish that will grow larger to people who have small tanks. and they always hear the kid or mom say "Oh of course were eventually getting a bigger tank"
and here on RC it must happen 15 to 20 times a day that there is a message "can i keep this fish in my Nano or 20g" why "because he just got it from his local LFS" it happens EVEN IT THE BEST OF THEM! your ingorance not too see this BLINDS YOU.
so your better off keeping your hands off the keyboard.

TrojanScott
07/13/2006, 12:47 PM
It depends on the store, both ends. I've not been fortunate enough to find a Petco that has anyone working there that knows anything about fish. Even when I do go in, the selection is limited.

As for LFS's, they're not all helpful or give good advice. I've found it to be the opposite. Places like Tongs, (IMO) are nothing more than glorified pet stores that jack up prices and turn out product, they don't care if they sell you a hard to care for coral and tell you, "oh, easy... no problem."

I happen to have two LFS that are fantastic. Both care about their customers and give great advice and service, so I'll pay the price to shop for their livestock. (has also helped that I've bought my tank through them, stand, etc, when I could have went direct to the mfg. ) I get deals too, but know if I spent the time to shop around, I could get better prices. I will order some dry goods online sometimes to save a few bucks, but for the most part, I know I pay more and help keep these guys in business. Can you imagine having to buy everything online, or from Petco? ICK.

RichConley
07/13/2006, 01:19 PM
RE: Having to buy everythign online

Have you ever ordered fish online?

I've ordered fish from Liveaquaria a couple of times, and they honestly are much better than anything I see in stores. Leopard wrasses eating out of the bag, Halicoeres wrasses actually coming out, instead of the usual post LFS 3 week buryfest, pod eaters eating frozen, etc.

Laakmann
07/13/2006, 01:52 PM
I got a yellow tang at petco, it lasted 2 days before I it had an ich outbreak in my quarentine tank (so lucky I put it in there).

I was also talking to one of the petco kids,

not even kidding about this:

They had 2 niger triggers that they had labeled in the store as pretty much kill anything fish (sorta wrong but nigers are pretty chill for triggers), anyways the kid told me that a few weeks ago him and his friend had on purposly starved the fish for a week (not even kidding or exagerating) then one day when business was hella slow they fed the triggers live gold fish and organized this so they could bet on which fish would kill the gold fish first.

Not even kidding

I really dont go back there anymore, if I need a powerhead or something ill drive twice as far to my LFS

puffer21
07/13/2006, 02:46 PM
I have two things to say. Petco overall has a bad reputation which is not right for all petco. The petco near me sells fish that are sick and they also give bad advise. Although there is one guy there who is extreamly helpful when i first got my turtle which was found in the road he helped me take care of it. He even knows about fish. He knows me and helps me out. So i think it really matters who is working there and if they care about there customers and animals.

TrojanScott
07/13/2006, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7736485#post7736485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
RE: Having to buy everythign online

Have you ever ordered fish online?

I've ordered fish from Liveaquaria a couple of times, and they honestly are much better than anything I see in stores. Leopard wrasses eating out of the bag, Halicoeres wrasses actually coming out, instead of the usual post LFS 3 week buryfest, pod eaters eating frozen, etc.

Don't get me wrong... I HAVE bought fish and corals on line at times. No problems at all. But, I like having the option of going to a LFS and SEEING what I'm getting up front. Or, if it's something that's difficult to keep, (fish) I can have 'em hold it and make sure it's eating for up to a month? Can't do that online.

I just like knowing that if I want to go see something for myself, I can.

archie1709
07/14/2006, 12:49 AM
Petco should just stick with merchandise and "other pets". They're bad with fish. Wal Mart is not excused from this too. Both store chains are like giant "ethics violation" punch in the face of caring hobbyists like us.

All we really have to do is collectively stop supporting fish livestock at petco. This will hurt them because fish is a big part of their inventory (ironically).

I'd rather buy from live aquaria or marine depot for deals than Petco.

RichConley
07/14/2006, 08:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7737340#post7737340 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TrojanScott
Don't get me wrong... I HAVE bought fish and corals on line at times. No problems at all. But, I like having the option of going to a LFS and SEEING what I'm getting up front. Or, if it's something that's difficult to keep, (fish) I can have 'em hold it and make sure it's eating for up to a month? Can't do that online.

I just like knowing that if I want to go see something for myself, I can.

Your LFS will hold fish? Most of them wont.

TrojanScott
07/14/2006, 10:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7741239#post7741239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Your LFS will hold fish? Most of them wont.

I've been going there for years, so no problem at all. If I'm iffy about a fish, wanna see it eat for a few weeks, see how it's doing, they will hold it for me. Then again, I doubt everyone gets 20% off when they walk through the door like I do either. Then yet again, I doubt any of those people have dropped the same amount of money I have over the years either! I'm fairly positive I helped the owner buy his new car last year.

bureau13
07/14/2006, 10:41 AM
Bah! Commercial fish collectors in general kill far more fish than Petco. If this is your prime concern leave the fish in the ocean unless you can collect them yourself.

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7732985#post7732985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquabucket
The Petco corporation kills more livestock than you can imagine! By purchasing your livestock there you are supporting an unethical company just to save a few bucks.

Aquabucket
07/14/2006, 10:54 AM
I actually used to collect them myself. There is a difference between collecting and transporting fish than providing proper care for them once they are in captivity. Ethical collectors are doing their best to keep their fish alive. Many quality LFS utilize such collectors. Your statement is irrelevent IMO.

D-Rod
07/14/2006, 11:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7740285#post7740285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by archie1709
Petco should just stick with merchandise and "other pets". They're bad with fish. Wal Mart is not excused from this too. Both store chains are like giant "ethics violation" punch in the face of caring hobbyists like us.

All we really have to do is collectively stop supporting fish livestock at petco. This will hurt them because fish is a big part of their inventory (ironically).

Hello, have you ever been in a petco? Dogs & Cats make up almost all their store. the fish dept is big because you can't hang a tank on a peg hook! Yes, their livestock tanks take up plenty of room, next time your're in one check out the rest of the store...

D-Rod
07/14/2006, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7740285#post7740285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by archie1709

If your really worried about "ethics violation"
why don't you (all those worried about big box pet stores)
first go after all those sub par LFS's out there, the ones EVERYONE ONE OF US SAYS
"I'LL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM" they out number the big box 20 to 1.(at least) and do more harm to this hobby than all the big box stores.

Oh Yeah!! the big box pet stores buy livestock from the same distributors as your local LFS. :blown:

Chad Vossen
07/14/2006, 11:40 AM
i work at a LFS and i can tell you that alot of advise about hardware is garbage from where i work. my boss sells only RIO pumps and SEACLONE skimmers. however he has a superskimmer on his reef tank and no RIO pumps in any of his saltwater tanks. he tells everyone to use a undergravel filter on their marine tanks (even if its a reef tank). i have written down reefcentral on a buisness card and given it to people that are learning. i try to recomend products and sugest they research it on the internet like i did.

im moving in 3 weeks and will be working at a petco after i move. maybe i can help improve the conditions. but realy, im going to be paid over 3$ more per hour than my current job at a LFS.

RichConley
07/14/2006, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7742100#post7742100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquabucket
I actually used to collect them myself. There is a difference between collecting and transporting fish than providing proper care for them once they are in captivity. Ethical collectors are doing their best to keep their fish alive. Many quality LFS utilize such collectors. Your statement is irrelevent IMO.

Aquabucket, MOST LFS dont use collectors. They go to wholesalers. Generally they dont really know how their fish were collected, or by who. They can ask the wholesalers, but theyre not going to get teh right answer most of the time.

As to holding fish, Its nice that your local LFS will hold fish for some people, but for the vast majority of customers, its not an option, and shouldnt be considered here.

Aquabucket
07/14/2006, 12:21 PM
I run an LFS SW dept. and am well aware of how the fish I purchase are collected. Almost all wholesalers today are stocking MAC certified fish. All of them declare which region the fish are collected from. I order all the livestock for the store and am particular to certain regions. Again its all about ethics and searching out an ethical LFS which deals with a quality wholesaler. My main wholesaler set up their opperation from top to bottom and spent several years teaching locals how to collect and care for wild fish in several key locations throughout the world. Collection methods worldwide are improving every day.

None of this changes the fact that as a corporation Petco does a poor job in caring for their livestock. Having a small percentage of their stores doing an adequate job at it does not change that fact.

ERICinFL
07/14/2006, 03:00 PM
Good lord folks. KillCo this, LFS that, blah b-blah blah blah. We all know there are good and bad LFS and good and bad KillCo stores. But to keep ranting about this is totally unproductive. Find a place you like and buy your stuff there. Who really gives a crap what kind of place it is. If you're happy with what you get and how much you pay, then that's all that matters. Case closed.

reverendmaynard
07/14/2006, 03:03 PM
Thank god you came along and settled the issue. :rolleyes:

lbear
07/14/2006, 07:00 PM
FYI

Petco's shares rise $8.44 in Nasdaq in a big down day.

Petco Agrees to $1.68B Buyout by Group (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060714/petco_buyout.html?.v=10)

The buyer is a private investment group.

bureau13
07/15/2006, 09:30 PM
Do you think it was someone reading this thread? :D

jds

archie1709
07/17/2006, 11:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7742164#post7742164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D-Rod
Hello, have you ever been in a petco? Dogs & Cats make up almost all their store. the fish dept is big because you can't hang a tank on a peg hook! Yes, their livestock tanks take up plenty of room, next time your're in one check out the rest of the store...

I don't think I like your condescending tendency towards posters like me. What makes you think I haven't been to Petco? I know they have other inventories in there.

Just in case you don't read (just getting back at your condescending remarks)
http://woodlandsonline.com/images/cd/!petco_f.gif

http://www.vvdailypress.com/storypics/062402b.jpg

http://hkshome.northstarnet.org/images/petco.jpg

http://mikilo.image.pbase.com/u10/ahhhitsjenn/small/20389802.178_7893.jpg

They are the only big megamart for pets that claim supplies and FISH. Unlike Petsmart, who only caters fresh water fish and aquarium supplies (and a few saltwater MERCHANDISE) besides the usual dog, cat, bird, and reptile inventory, Petco actually provides assets to make sure that Marine Fish is an integral part of their nitch over Petsmart and the likes.

Next time you go to Petco, read the outside. I d i o t.

wds21921
07/18/2006, 05:59 AM
I went through this same debate a year ago and a year before that.

Most people in general seem to label Petco as bad simply because they're a chain. You can throw in may other variables here but most of those same variables also apply to many LFS.

Bad advice
Poor health in there animals
Overpriced-yes even some Petco's are overpriced in livestock AND supplies.

When it comes to shipping and who you order from and how and where they were caught, most of your LFS aren't even aware of this. Ask one of them that you generally don't cater to. They can tell you who they order from but much more than that is a roll of the dice.

The bottom line is I don't like to see mom & pop stores pushed to the brink of extinction BUT part of what D-Rod said was true.
If they plan on staying in business then they need to learn what it is they're selling and how to properly take care of it.
The same goes for Petco too.

I prefer the mom & pops because they generally have a much better selection of animals but supplies, they're many times way overpriced.

I'm not defending one or the other. Both have there falabilities but to say that labels such as Petco is a chain and they're evil, or mom & pop give me better advice is completely debatable.

Buy from whoever your trust and gives you the best service and quality.

Calling people names isn't going to win you much credibility either.

merk1_99
07/18/2006, 07:14 AM
Hmm you can't get Ich from a LFS? Never knew that...Don't blame Petco for you Ich outbreak. Blame your lack of QT setup. Anytime you buy a fish from any sort of store you can get Ich. I guess you can't get red bugs, or acro eating flatworms from a LFS either....

archie1709
07/18/2006, 03:06 PM
I take it back. Name calling should not be tolerated in this forum whether or not the person was instigated. sorry, D-Rod. I know you know I've been to Petco before and you were just proving a point.

My only take on Petco is that it breaks my heart everytime I go to one at the Marine fish section. It's pretty bad. Nonetheless, I've only been to three (one in southern california ~ Glendale, CA ~ and two in Maryland ~ Rockville, MD and Germantown, MD) and all three are pretty bad. Nonetheless, I haven't seen them all to prove a strong point.

Nonetheless, I am just not a fan of Petco taking Marine Fish in substandard conditions and selling them to folks who are not familiar with aquariums yet.

Most all of us know that a lot of us aquarists go to LFS than Petco if given a chance. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean all of us should. It's just my take on it.

Two cents and peace to you all

GROSSR
07/18/2006, 07:29 PM
I agree about the store, I have purchased in Petco from Pittsburgh, to Cleveland, to NJ. And it comes down to the person who runs the department. Each store that Petco stuff lives knows his/her stuff. In Cleveland I learned something from the Petco guy, in other stores they push undergravel filters for fresh and saltwater. Most LFS I go to someone understands what is going on with Saltwater and Reefs in the store, not always, but usually, and you wind up with better service and product, albeit higher costing. In PETCO the usual is someone who know nothing about Fish in general.

Petco's are not bad, you need to examine each one carefully. I have seen very clean tanks and well fed fish, stress free and relaxed and I saw tanks in NJ that had a NASO tang for 9.99 loaded with ICK and in the tank next to it was a bunch of clarkii's for 29.99 each, they even had a clam for 49.99. That I didn't understand.

Even with that, I agree in general that Petco should not sell saltwater fish, if the majority of their stores are not well run, they are doing more harm than good.

rich

jgb23
07/18/2006, 09:15 PM
I had an issue similar. I went to a local LFS about getting some new fixtures and sockets for my MH system. He told me he could order them. I asked him how much and we was kind of taken back. He then says "How much do you want to pay, 30-40?" What kind of an answer is that? I told him that I found them (both the socket and fixture) online for 9.95. I told him that I would pay as high as 15.00
He got all bent out of shape because I did my research to find out what they would cost and said "You cant have a conversation with someone on the internet about lighting and such like we are!" was his reply.
I told him I dont mind him making a profit off of me, but he is not going to take advantage of me.
He said if he could get me the pieces for that price he would. I contact him a couple of days later and he says "Yeah, I got your sockets and they were 15." "Sockets? I asked for the sockets and fixtures." Thats not what you told me, he says. I saw you write down what I asked for, I replied. I told him to keep it and he will never get my business again.
I am in the process of setting up a new tank and at that point, I still needed to buy a skimmer, sump, return pump, etc. I would NEVER EVER go to that LFS ever again. I would drive 50 miles out of my way to go somewhere else.
I had a similar incident at another LFS where the fish guy (who really knew nothing) wanted to sell me a 20 gallon tank (just the tank) for 60 bucks! I told him he was crazy.
I have been to Petsmart, Petco, PetLand and have asked questions. If they did not know the answer, they would at least tell me.
I am also tired of the mom/pop story of the big box stores putting them out of business. Many mom and pops have thrived in the big box environment. Why? They change thier strategy. Have more informed employees, offer more services, etc.

Just my .02

physicslord
07/18/2006, 09:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7769115#post7769115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jgb23
I had an issue similar. I went to a local LFS about getting some new fixtures and sockets for my MH system. He told me he could order them. I asked him how much and we was kind of taken back. He then says "How much do you want to pay, 30-40?" What kind of an answer is that? I told him that I found them (both the socket and fixture) online for 9.95. I told him that I would pay as high as 15.00
He got all bent out of shape because I did my research to find out what they would cost and said "You cant have a conversation with someone on the internet about lighting and such like we are!" was his reply.
I told him I dont mind him making a profit off of me, but he is not going to take advantage of me.
He said if he could get me the pieces for that price he would. I contact him a couple of days later and he says "Yeah, I got your sockets and they were 15." "Sockets? I asked for the sockets and fixtures." Thats not what you told me, he says. I saw you write down what I asked for, I replied. I told him to keep it and he will never get my business again.
I am in the process of setting up a new tank and at that point, I still needed to buy a skimmer, sump, return pump, etc. I would NEVER EVER go to that LFS ever again. I would drive 50 miles out of my way to go somewhere else.
I had a similar incident at another LFS where the fish guy (who really knew nothing) wanted to sell me a 20 gallon tank (just the tank) for 60 bucks! I told him he was crazy.
I have been to Petsmart, Petco, PetLand and have asked questions. If they did not know the answer, they would at least tell me.
I am also tired of the mom/pop story of the big box stores putting them out of business. Many mom and pops have thrived in the big box environment. Why? They change thier strategy. Have more informed employees, offer more services, etc.

Just my .02

I hate to say it but you are kinda being nitpicky.

You can't stick an online price in the face of an LFS and then expect them to make you a deal. They mark things up a lot to pay for retail space rent.
Also I mean, 60 bucks for a good 20 gallon tank isn't that crazy. The nanocube cost me that much and it's a ten gallon.

Also you said you'de offer him 15 bucks. I mean, that's what you would have paid in shipping from the online retailer anyway.

You are just hard bargaining and an LFS isn't a flea market. It sounds like he was trying to make you a deal. Just go online if you want something cheap.

You wouln't go to Target and try to bargain at checkout. But you would go to an LFS and berate the guy for not hard bargaining with you.

I'm cheap too, but I live in the real world.

GROSSR
07/18/2006, 09:43 PM
that is why I read here, and buy on line. I never ever buy drygoods from a LFS. I just plan my purchases. Now livestock is different. I do like to see what a fish looks like.

rich

physicslord
07/18/2006, 09:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7769278#post7769278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GROSSR
that is why I read here, and buy on line. I never ever buy drygoods from a LFS. I just plan my purchases. Now livestock is different. I do like to see what a fish looks like.

rich

Yeah, I mean, if you want some cheap dry goods and can wait a few days it just makes sense to buy online.

If you want livestock that you can check out first to make sure it's healthy, or if you need something like a heater in a pinch, then go to the LFS.

archie1709
07/19/2006, 04:54 PM
Amen. I buy my dry goods on these places online:

www.aquariumguys.com
www.petsmart.com
www.marinedepot.com
www.drfostersmith.com

I just plan my purchases even before I look for which one of the above is the cheapest.

BTW, sometimes I find cheap stuff through www.amazon.com as well.

wds21921
07/19/2006, 07:03 PM
Great resources listed there Archie, I've used 3 of them myself and have muxh respect for them. I'd like to also list:

www.thatpetplace.com -dry goods
www.pacificeastaquaculture.com -inverts

I've been going there for 24 years (That Pet Place) when it was only an old diner lol.

They have 6 Marine Biologists working in there fish department also if you need and tough questions answered.

Like most have already said though I prefer the small mom & pop stores or people in our own club when it comes to buying livestock. I do appreciate the extent at which some online sellers have gone to in posting WYSIWYG photos but I too want to make sure of the animals health before I purchase it.

And Amazon.com is tough to beat on prices for good books and DVDs, especially used ;).

bureau13
07/19/2006, 08:00 PM
Well, its one thing for an LFS to charge a markup if they have what I want when I want it....but if they're just going to order it anyway, forget about it. Not that I would expect them to meet the price, I just wouldn't buy it from them in that scenario. A guy at one of the local places here offered to order me a RO membrane for $120. When I told him I would just get it online for $70 or so, he said I hope you don't order everything online....to which I told him if he had it in stock I would have paid the markup. There are times when I will pay extra, but I have to get something extra too, like the merchandise RIGHT NOW.

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7769172#post7769172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by physicslord

You can't stick an online price in the face of an LFS and then expect them to make you a deal. They mark things up a lot to pay for retail space rent.
Also I mean, 60 bucks for a good 20 gallon tank isn't that crazy. The nanocube cost me that much and it's a ten gallon.

Also you said you'de offer him 15 bucks. I mean, that's what you would have paid in shipping from the online retailer anyway.

You are just hard bargaining and an LFS isn't a flea market. It sounds like he was trying to make you a deal. Just go online if you want something cheap.

You wouln't go to Target and try to bargain at checkout. But you would go to an LFS and berate the guy for not hard bargaining with you.

I'm cheap too, but I live in the real world.

D-Rod
07/19/2006, 10:49 PM
It's all good "Archie" if anything good happens out of this we exchange online suppliers where we can get good deals at and save $.
ie: i buy my IO salt at petsmart for 31.99 just make sure you print the online pricing and bring it in. Pestmart honors there all online pricing as long as you bring the printed online pricing to the stores.
compared to my local LFS they sell a bucket of IO for 87.99
99% of my purchases for dry goods are on line because first off i'm not rich and luckly i have not had an emergency and needed something right away.

RichConley
07/20/2006, 07:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7769172#post7769172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by physicslord

60 bucks for an AGA 20H is crazy. Theyre like $28 bucks at petco. My LFS charges $35. Thats reasonable. The LFS near work sells them for $55. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to waste my money because that LFS doesnt know how to manage things. Petco has to pay rent too.

The LFS down the street sells Mag5s for $149. THeres no reason for that other than trying to take advantage of people.

My LFS CAN beat internet prices a lot of the time, we just need to get 10 or 15 people together to buy at the same time.

I'm not going to, and theres no reason he should, support a place thats trying to price gouge him, and at $60 for a 20H, or $100+ for a $10 light fixture, they are trying to take advantage of him.

RichConley
07/20/2006, 07:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7775670#post7775670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bureau13
Well, its one thing for an LFS to charge a markup if they have what I want when I want it....but if they're just going to order it anyway, forget about it. Not that I would expect them to meet the price, I just wouldn't buy it from them in that scenario. A guy at one of the local places here offered to order me a RO membrane for $120. When I told him I would just get it online for $70 or so, he said I hope you don't order everything online....to which I told him if he had it in stock I would have paid the markup. There are times when I will pay extra, but I have to get something extra too, like the merchandise RIGHT NOW.

jds

Check PurelyH20 (a sponsor). They have Dow Filmtec 75gpd membranes for $38. If hes trying to charge you 120, hes trying to rip you off. Period.

geckofrog
07/20/2006, 07:57 AM
$120 for a membrane? thats ridiculous!

DannyXL
08/01/2006, 01:42 AM
Wow, this seems to hit a nerve with a lot of people. Well, I see no problem with buying from where you chose as long as it's an intelligent choice. Sure if you can save a lot on buying a fish at Petco (and they are healthy and the store is run properly), why not? Same with ordering online, or at the privately owned LFS.

I think we all buy different things from different stores. I myself would never buy a fish anywhere but one particular store in my area, but have no problem buying any other food/supplies from any of the local stores including petsmart. If my local Petsmart kept good healthy fish, yes, I'd buy them. But since they don't, I won't.

As far as those of you who run LFS, my advice would be not to crack on the customer who made a mistake by going to petco or petsmart and received the wrong advice. This is your chance to show why they should come to you. Find them a solution to their problem and you'll gain a new customer for life. If you **** them off and they just walk outta your store, that is never a good thing. Why? They ain't ever comming back. I used to run an Import video game store, years and years ago. I can tell you one bad tase in a customer's mouth spreads faster than 10 good things. Just the way it is. Educate your customer, give them your expertise and they will be back not only for advice, but to buy.

my .02

JmLee
08/01/2006, 02:28 AM
i bought two baby clarkii clown fish from there, they are doing great.

Taikimoto
08/01/2006, 05:38 AM
my only concern would be that they may die after the stress of shipping etc.. and there is no guarantee @ petco

As opposed to the stress of being shipped and given to your LFS instead of petco? Most of the fish come off the same truck, just go to different places.

And of course there is no guarantee @ petco for SW fish, how many LFS's even have a reasonable quarantee on SW fish that you know of?

Its so funny that I see threads one week bashing big business such as Petco, Petsmart, and Walmart. Then the next week the bandwagon shifts to LFS's, then the next week it shifts to internet stores, then repeats.

No one MAKES you buy anything from any of these stores, its your choice. If you want to buy from a LFS, or a big business thats your choice.

There are plenty of LFS that are just as bad or worse than some petco's, and there are also some petco's that are better than some LFS's. Putting a label on the entire business as a whole is rather stupid, because if you do then you might as well group ALL LFS's together and rate them as a collective entity as you do with petco, petsmart and walmart.

liquidlunch
08/01/2006, 06:47 AM
I had a paradigm shift. I used to scoff at buying livestock at Petco but I have found myself buying exclusively from them now. It may also be that my LFS's suck. I bought a Purple tang for $59 and a Derasa clam for $30 last week.

RichConley
08/01/2006, 07:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7855538#post7855538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by liquidlunch
I had a paradigm shift. I used to scoff at buying livestock at Petco but I have found myself buying exclusively from them now. It may also be that my LFS's suck. I bought a Purple tang for $59 and a Derasa clam for $30 last week.

Yeah, I've had much better luck buying fairy wrasses from Petco than anywhere else.

As to people complaining about Petco not having any guarantee, I think like 5% of the LFS I've seen actually have a guarantee on Saltwater livestock, and its usually just 7 days.

If it dies in the first 7 days, it wasnt healthy to start with, and you shouldnt have bought it.

flameangel88
08/01/2006, 08:24 AM
liquidlunch:

which location had the purple tang for $59?

thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7855538#post7855538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by liquidlunch

D-Rod
08/01/2006, 10:55 AM
Don't forget some Petco's are willing to special order any livestock you want, and some don't

fishboyy
08/01/2006, 05:03 PM
i would much rather buy at petco than at a few lfs's near me i think its wrong how people generalize them as being awuful stores the one near me has healthy fish and good prices. at one of my lfs they dont acclimate the fish they open the bag with a razor and they plunge about 3 feet down on a net over a trah can and they pour like 10 fish out doing this and some are out of the water on the net for over 5 mins easy then he grabs them and literly throws them into the tank.:mad2: :furious: i cant tell you the amount of fish that die when they go in the tank its horrible. the other day i saw it and the yellow tang twitched in the tank for a min then layed in the sand and died:( also when this store cleaned the tank the girl suked up 2 clown gobys and says to me these fish are so stupid they should move when i clean the tank. i will never go back to there again. at my petco they acclimate there stuff for 2 and a half hours the guy said and i went in saw them acclimating went to lunch and stopped back in and they were still acclimating:) soooooooooooo my point is that every petco is different and some are MUCH better than lfs's:D

D-Rod
08/01/2006, 05:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7859379#post7859379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishboyy
i would much rather buy at petco than at a few lfs's near me i think its wrong how people generalize them as being awuful stores the one near me has healthy fish and good prices. at one of my lfs they dont acclimate the fish they open the bag with a razor and they plunge about 3 feet down on a net over a trah can and they pour like 10 fish out doing this and some are out of the water on the net for over 5 mins easy then he grabs them and literly throws them into the tank.:mad2: :furious: i cant tell you the amount of fish that die when they go in the tank its horrible. the other day i saw it and the yellow tang twitched in the tank for a min then layed in the sand and died:( also when this store cleaned the tank the girl suked up 2 clown gobys and says to me these fish are so stupid they should move when i clean the tank. i will never go back to there again. :D

For the Southern Cal reefers i saw this happen at TONGS in fountian valley the last time i was down in the area. they also throw all there corals in a big trash can with wheels and roll it from tank to tank, the employee who was doing this would get plastics bags of corals and cut it open and just dump it into the trash can than take a big net and scoop them out and plop it into tanks. there were times when she scooped up too many and at time they would fall on the floor, the water in the can was dark brown after she dumped all the bags in.

Horrible!!

I happen to get there just as she was opening the first package

justin1977justi
08/03/2006, 08:19 AM
It all depends on what Petco you go to and when you go to it. There are 2 that are near me that usually have very nice tanks. I bought a med. yellow Tang for $15 and it has been in my tank for about a year. I have several other fish that I got for less than half the price of the LFS in my area. If you find out when there shipments come in you can get some nice fish for very cheap. There is onlt one out of about 6 LFS in my are that has better fish and tanks than my petco's.