View Full Version : just got a 55 with sump and need help

07/13/2006, 11:50 AM
i have no idea how to plumb...anything =(

im gonna get a asm g2 skimmer and i guess i need it plumbed from the display into it then into sump then into pump and back into display...anyone have exp with this?

does anyone live near woodland park that could help?

07/13/2006, 12:30 PM
You can't use the asm g2 skimmer as an external skimmer. They are great skimmers, but the need to set in the sump because they will leak. I have one myself and love it. Just prop it up in your sump and plug it in.

Is your 55 drilled for overflows, or are you going to use hang on overflows? If it is drilled, you just add bulkheads to the larger holes and run some flexable tubing to the bulkheads in your sump. Someone else may need to help you with the hang on type as I have never used one.

07/13/2006, 12:37 PM
Is this the tank that IsThisNameTaken? was selling?

07/13/2006, 01:08 PM
yeah deuce, why?

it has a drilled overflow race and yeah, the sump has a spot that seems almost fit to size for the asm g2

07/13/2006, 03:01 PM
That just to let us know that it is RR and has an overflow. Thats all.

07/13/2006, 03:50 PM
any ideas on how im supposed toplumb it?

07/13/2006, 04:05 PM
The same way any other RR tank would be. Your overflow drain would be plumbed to your sump where you need to have your skimmer (in sump) then on the other end of the sump you either need to drill and plumb for an external pump or use a submerisible pump. The pump then needs to be plumbed to the return hole in the overflow and that should be connected to your return plumbing for flow into the tank. I hope that makes sense... If not I'm sure we can draw some pictures.

07/13/2006, 05:12 PM
pics would be great

07/13/2006, 05:38 PM
Not to scale but it goes something like this



07/13/2006, 05:41 PM
Make sure you DO NOT fill the sump full. If you do, you will have a flood if there is a power outage. You have to figure that yourself.

07/14/2006, 07:00 AM
theres 2 holes in the over flow. i dont think they make a fitting for it

07/14/2006, 07:47 AM
You need to measure the holes, and go to a plumbing store and buy the appropriate bulkheads. These will thread together from each side of the glass and seal against the glass tightly. You will need the same kind of setup for the sump also. One of the holes is for the feed to the sump, and the other hole is for the return from the sump. Hope this helps.

07/14/2006, 10:50 AM
Or just look here for the bulk head that fits those holes...


07/14/2006, 11:21 AM
what holds the pipe elbows to the normal pipes? glue? is it reef safe?

07/14/2006, 12:13 PM
Just PVC glue. Its reef safe as long you let it cure for awhile. 24 hours of curing should do it.