PDA

View Full Version : Algae on glass and walls control

JCnflies
07/13/2006, 06:17 PM
I am setting up my 75 gallon in a few days (a reef tank.) I am going to have a efugium, skimmer, etc with Marshall Island LR and T5s. I am really hoping this tank wil be beautiful - eventually chock full of corals and 6 or 8 fish, including a foxface rabbitfish and an Atlantic Blue Tang.

One thing I would like the tank to control itself, as much as possible, is algae on the sides and front of the tank - for that matter the LR, too. I made sure to get a couple of fish taht would at least help with algae, but I am a little confused by what else I have read.

I guess I have a few options with invertebrates. Should I get a few hermit crabs or snails? Maybe a lettuce slug? I can try to leave some room for a conch, but I'm not sure the tank will be big enuogh (80 lbs LR, supposedly Marshall Island is more prous so that should cover a lot of tank bottom.)

I have read that hermit crabs can damage soft corals, but then I read that they can keep algae off the stony ones. I definitely expect to put plenty of corals in the tank over time, and I hear that will also help control algae.

So if it was your tank, what would you do when if you wanted to keep algae growth in the tank as minimal as possible. Thanks.

CrystalAZ
07/13/2006, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7738254#post7738254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JCnflies
I guess I have a few options with invertebrates. Should I get a few hermit crabs or snails? Maybe a lettuce slug? I can try to leave some room for a conch, but I'm not sure the tank will be big enuogh (80 lbs LR, supposedly Marshall Island is more prous so that should cover a lot of tank bottom.)

I have read that hermit crabs can damage soft corals, but then I read that they can keep algae off the stony ones. I definitely expect to put plenty of corals in the tank over time, and I hear that will also help control algae.

So if it was your tank, what would you do when if you wanted to keep algae growth in the tank as minimal as possible. Thanks.

Hermit crabs: I like them. Many don't. They rarely damage corals, but will kill snails for their shells. To me they are worth it.

Lettuce slugs: Only eats certain algaes, and will starve to death if they aren't in your tank. Also, tends to let go of the rock and float around, causing death by powerhead! I would avoid them.

Snails: yes. There are many types of snails that are good with eating algae. Ceriths, astrea, turbos, etc.

Conchs: Don't clean the rocks. They are good for cleaning/sifting sand, but often starve to death because there isn't enough for them. If you have sand, you may want one fighting conch... no more.

To keep algae at a minimum, do water changes, keep your nutrients low, and buy a magnet cleaner to swipe the tank walls every few days. It really isn't a bad chore. :)

Crystal

JCnflies
07/13/2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks much:) Is there a particular kind of snail that is better looking than the others? What about hermit crabs? How many of each might yuo suggest? Thx:)

CrystalAZ
07/14/2006, 12:36 AM
Better looking? I dunno about that. They are all cute in a snail sort of way. :D

They all serve their own purposes though and I'd recommend a mix of different types.

As far as how many, I like starting low - you can always increase the numbers if need be, but if you put in too many, they starve.

Crystal

LivinThaLyfe33
07/14/2006, 12:38 AM
id stray away from hermits...a crab is a crab and they'll take out your snails for the shell and are 50/50 withcorals and whatnot...snails do the same amount ofwork if not more...astrea snails are great and stay small...turbo snails are good but large and if rocks or corals arent "glued" in place or stuck good then the turbo could knock it down

TCU Reefer
07/14/2006, 09:31 AM
How severe is the algae growth? If it's taking over, critters are great for control but why don't you fugure out WHY the algae is occurring?

Too much feeding, not using RO/DI, etc?

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

I'd check that out before anything.

Do you have a Mag Float to clean the glass regularly?