PDA

View Full Version : stray voltage

zemuron114
07/13/2006, 07:44 PM
well everytime i put my finger in the tank i get zapped (only on the finger with a cut...)
I found out what is causing it - skimmer pump. Im replacing the skimmer anyway with an ASM G3, so i hope that takes care of the problem. If not, is a grounding probe worth it? I have a 180 gallon w/ 40 gallon sump.

Thanks everyone!

Steven0000
07/13/2006, 09:46 PM
thats dangerous

can cause fires, death to fishand and inverts, ect.

grounding pobes are not that much
i would suggest buying one

but if you are grounded and enough electrcity gets you you
you will die

zemuron114
07/14/2006, 12:52 AM
it isn't enough to make me jump or back up. I can just feel it.
How do grounding probes work?

nodbugger
07/14/2006, 01:05 AM
The grounding probe is a bad idea, just replace the faulty equipment. You get shocked because you are grounding the tank. So the grounding probe will be just like you are standing with your finger in your tank, 24/7. As long as the tank is not grounded there is no stray voltage, stick a grounding probe in and you will shock what ever is in the tank.

jdieck
07/14/2006, 01:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7740297#post7740297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zemuron114
it isn't enough to make me jump or back up. I can just feel it.
How do grounding probes work?

VERY IMPORTANT: Never use a grounding probe unless your equipment is connected to a GFCI.

THe reason you get the shock is that you are grounded and the tank is not so there is no current until you touch the water.
Without current the critters and everything else are like a bird in a high power line wire whne current is established then the problems start.
A grounding probe will ground the water so if you have a short to the water current will be established. In many instances the current is not high enough to trip the braker but can cause a fire. Also if the tank is grounded and you touch the body of a piece of equipment that has a short you can be seriously hurt.
To prevent this all your electrical equipment that can get wet or splashed on must be conected to a GFCI. THe GFCI will interrupt the circuit is as low as 5 milliamperes are detected.
Replace the effective equipment and install GFCIs if you are not using them. The ground probe becomes optional once you have the GFCI.

zemuron114
07/14/2006, 10:45 AM
where do i get GFCI and how do i install them?

thanks!

jdieck
07/14/2006, 12:55 PM
You can get them at your faviorite home depot or hardware store.
There are the type that can replace your wall outlets (Similar to the GFCIs you see in hotel bathrooms) or there are ones mounted in short extension cords. If you have your electrical connected to power strips a GFCI on an extension cord might be the best optios as you do not need to mess up with the outlet.

physicslord
07/14/2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah, to reiterate.

A shock from your tank means it is time to replace a faulty piece of equipment. Don't mask a potential problem with a grounding probe.

sterbrock1
07/14/2006, 01:47 PM
I would remove the faulty equipment immediately, even if you don't have a replacement. I've had entire tanks die because of faulty power heads. Your opening up a can of worms with this GFCI and grounding probe issue. Do a search here and you will get more info than you want to read, but some very good stuff!

zemuron114
07/14/2006, 02:54 PM
im replacing it anyway since the skimmer i have stinks. Just waiting for my G3 to come tomorrow! :) we will see if that fixes it. Im pretty sure it is coming from the skimmer pump now.

pactrop
07/15/2006, 12:55 AM
Put a GFCI in anyway! it may save your house, or your life. it is not a bad thing. I had a friend who is an electrician rewire my whole fish shack and I had him put in GFCI. He was telling me horror stories the whole time.

I would not go with the one on the power strip either. If you put it at the wall then your whole system is protected. they are super easy to install. just turn off your circuit breaker, take off your old outlet (1 screw), take off the old receptacles (2 more screws) and unscrew the wires from the receptacle (3 more screws) and then put everything back together with the new GFCI. all for under $10!

All it does is short out the plug before it has time to catch fire. to reset it all you have to do is press the button on the plug.

If you are getting shocked then you need to find out why fix that problem. and put in GFCI.