PDA

View Full Version : sump inside a sump?for skimmer?

Serioussnaps
07/13/2006, 11:44 PM
Setting up the tank for a move....using a 30 g rubbermaid as the sump....I was going to get the tank drilled for another overflow because I want a fuge without a skimmer sittting in it, but decided I really dont feel like it, especially if this can work....

I have an ASM G3 skimmer(so not too small of a skimmer). With one overflow and one sump can i put a smaller container inside the sump to put the skimmer in....let the water overflow from the sump into the container the skimmer is sitting in inside the sump to get skimmed and hence that water overflows back into the sump...this way the pods at the bottom want find their way into the skimmer as easily and sand and what not wont either.....

Anyone ever do this...got pics of your setup.....any pitfalls with doing this.....like skimmer running dry or something...

Any ideas as how I can pull the fuge off in the same sump...i wont fork over the money for a small hang on back fuge(i dont like them, and would rather go through the pain in taking out all the stuff and taking it to get drilled, although im trying to avoid this as well)

Serioussnaps
07/13/2006, 11:46 PM
I know some are going to say baffle it....but tell me exactly how you would do it rather than the general saying "baffles."