PDA

View Full Version : Mangove vs macro

graveyardworm
07/14/2006, 10:14 AM
Just came across an interesting article comparing mangrove growth and nutrient uptake to that of some species of macro.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2005/lines.html

curbdog
07/14/2006, 01:01 PM
This is a very good paper, and I have read this some time ago.
Last year I was going to grow a mangrove in a sump with a mud base. After reading and more research I found that as I wanted this for nutrient uptake the way to go was with a macroalgae.
So now I have a 20gl. refugium growing mostly Chaetomorpha and some Mexican Caulerpa. I have a 4"Fiji sand bottom, about 2lbs. of rock and the lighting is a 55 watt 6700k compact fluorscent. I am moving about 100 gph through the tank. I am going to be setting up a 30gl. refugium and I would like some ideas. Maybe let me know what your set up is.
Michael

edwar050
07/15/2006, 03:25 AM
I do not disagree at all with the findings. I believe that mangrove nutrient removal depends on the size and quantity of mangroves. I also believe that mangroves create a pretty good scrubber, help increase pod population, and help remove excess nutrients.

Triterium
07/16/2006, 09:34 PM
Those are pictures of mangroves in my greenhouse and my old sump :D

some of the mangroves from those pictures are nearing 3' tall now with probably 100+ leaves (i haven't counted)

Samala
07/16/2006, 11:21 PM
I liked the article too. Great reference material for those interested in mangrove sumps. However.. once they get to a good size, I wonder if their overall nutrient uptake is more worth the effort to grow them.

(i haven't counted)

Now now.. tell the truth.. you know you sit beside the mangroves at night and talk to them or play them classical music. I'm sure you've had time to count all the leaves during your alone time with the trees.. :wildone:

This reminds me, my plans for an open air mangrove tank were approved, so its a go for a shallow water seagrass to mangrove environment. Should be lots of fun to build. And I will certainly be bugging you Triterium to get some ideas on how to make the trees happy.

>Sarah

rustybucket145
07/17/2006, 02:30 PM
I have chaeto growing in my mangrove prop roots and grass bottom in the rest of the tank. This is in my 40gal fuge. I figure with all three you can't go wrong? Right?

Oh, the pod population is unbelievable. Some are almost big enough to make a pod cocktail with. :D

edwar050
07/22/2006, 03:30 AM
I am with rusty on this big time. Though mangrove removal may be somewhat limited depending on how many you have and the size of them. I like mulitfaceted approaches to reefkeeping and figure the help every little bit helps.