PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if my Typhoon III is working right?

pennyguy23
07/14/2006, 02:27 PM
I just set up typhoon III and Its running but how do I check if its cleaning or not. I have the TDS meter but I am not sure how to calibrate it. Any help would be great. Thanks

MJAnderson
07/14/2006, 02:44 PM
I just tested my tap water (114) versus the water coming out (1) and jumped to the conclusion that it was working.

edit: Nice tank!

Billybeau1
07/14/2006, 02:46 PM
Is it a portable TDS meter or an in-line ? And is the TDS meter new or used ?

AZDesertRat
07/14/2006, 04:58 PM
The TDS meter should be factory calibrated. First obtain a squeaky clean drinking water glass and rinse and polish it until its perfectly clean without any soap scum or residue. Draw a glass of tap water and measure the TDS and write it down. Next triple rinse the glass in RO/DI water. Now fill the glass with RO only water before the DI filter and record the TDS. Triple rinse again with the DI water and finally fill it with DI and record that reading. Dry the glass and put it in a protected place upside down so dust and contaminants don't get it dirty for next time.
You should be seeing a 98% reduction in the incoming TDS from the RO only and 0 TDS from the combined RO/DI.
Example, if your tap water TDS is 200, you should be seeing 4 or less from the RO only and again 0 from the DI.
It does take 5 gallons or so to get the system fully rinsed out and producing good water so waste the first several gallons out through the RO only if possible and then do a gallon or so through the RO/DI before using.

MJAnderson
07/14/2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry, When you buy a Typhoon III you get a TDS meter in the package. Guess you wouldn't know that but I knew he would. =)

pennyguy23
07/14/2006, 09:34 PM
Sorry dP

pennyguy23
07/14/2006, 09:35 PM
Ok I will try that. I have don't about 3gl so far and it reads about 68. It came with the Ro di unit. It was new.

Billybeau1
07/15/2006, 07:05 AM
I think most manufacturers say to discard the first 10 gallons or so.